Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 149736 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2006, 10:22:30 AM »
Howdy all.

Anybody out there care to comment regarding any rank 30-90 schools in the Midwest-ish area that are pretty gay-friendly?  So far, I'm in at Cincinnati and am particularly curious about the school and the city, as I've heard good things about both. 

Anything in general about Midwest schools in that rank range (no, I won't be getting into the likes of U-Chicago or NW, trust me :D) would be appreciated, though.
In Chicago, you'll find the private schools (Kent/Marshall) more gay friendly, speaking institutionally, than the Catholic Universities (De Paul/Loyola). However, each school has an active LGBT group this year and all the groups tend to be in communication with each other. Plus there's a pretty active citywide organization that has monthly stuff during the semester for law students.

Chicago's also the site of next September's Lavender Law conference.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »
Bouzie - good luck with the apps. I'd definitely talk to adcomms about the situation, and find out what to do.

I can't remember if schools specifically asked me for my parents returns or not. If they did, I refused to submit them (politely refused). I've been on my own for a long time, and have sole responsibility for myself. I even have parents that would have gladly supply any information, but I don't see where they'd have to as it wasn't relevant to my application. In any case, I don't think that part of the app hurt me anywhere that I applied. My GPA/LSAT score and late applications were probably quite a bit more determinative.

wtwall

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »
Slacker-

I definetly have my eye on Kent, although they've yet to grace me with an acceptance.  I just got into SLU a couple days ago and am seriously considering it...it's still early in the cycle, though.  Hopefully Kent will give me some good news.

Although...cost of living in Chicago definetly makes me nervous. :)

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2006, 10:21:47 PM »
bouzie, I'm in similar situation and was planning to just call schools individually to ask about it.  I'm only applying to 8 though...

I have to wonder, do people's parents actually contribute to paying for law school?  it seems so cruel to ask for parents' financial information otherwise, but maybe that means a lot of people do have parents willing to foot the bill.  mind-boggling to me....

Bridget, I'm with you!  Actually, I don't quite understand those who have parents contribute to their undergrad degrees.  I know its pretty standard but its just foreign to me so i dont get it ;)

I am, um, significantly older than all of you, and my parents are not contributing to law school.  (I've lived on my own for half of my life now!)  None of the schools to which I applied released me from the obligation of providing my parents' tax returns, etc.  I think it's totally insane.  I would hate to see what my expected contribution would look like without my merit scholarships... (and I may find out next year!)

Wait, you're transferring?
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2006, 12:59:38 AM »
tlaking about me in the third person I see?????  Thats not me, its a french actor named romaine duris.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2006, 01:33:17 AM »
Oh good, so someone famous I shouldn't recognize. 

No no, you should recognize him.  Please go rent Lauberge Espagnole.  Its the best movie EVER.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2006, 04:24:47 AM »
bouzie, I'm in similar situation and was planning to just call schools individually to ask about it.  I'm only applying to 8 though...

I have to wonder, do people's parents actually contribute to paying for law school?  it seems so cruel to ask for parents' financial information otherwise, but maybe that means a lot of people do have parents willing to foot the bill.  mind-boggling to me....

Bridget, I'm with you!  Actually, I don't quite understand those who have parents contribute to their undergrad degrees.  I know its pretty standard but its just foreign to me so i dont get it ;)

I am, um, significantly older than all of you, and my parents are not contributing to law school.  (I've lived on my own for half of my life now!)  None of the schools to which I applied released me from the obligation of providing my parents' tax returns, etc.  I think it's totally insane.  I would hate to see what my expected contribution would look like without my merit scholarships... (and I may find out next year!)

Wait, you're transferring?

Oh, goodness no!  I was referring to my applications last year.  Sorry for any confusion, folks!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
No no, you should recognize him.  Please go rent Lauberge Espagnole.  Its the best movie EVER.
On this point we shall have to firmly disagree. Not even the presence of Audrey Tautou could make that movie "the best." A notch above average, maybe; but I'd have to stop there.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »
On this point we shall have to firmly disagree. Not even the presence of Audrey Tautou could make that movie "the best." A notch above average, maybe; but I'd have to stop there.

...we better not end up at the same place because thems fightin' words!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »
...we better not end up at the same place because thems fightin' words!
I truly hope we don't end up in the same place since I'm scheduled to graduate in May.