Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152785 times)

Bouzie1982

Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »
I've found this chart form lsac that Im sure you've all seen to be helpful

http://www.lsac.org/lsac/lgbt-frameset.html

Although it doesn't say anything about the atmospheres of law schools or provide anything qualitative it does at least provide the applicant with an idea of where the administration stands on LGBT issues.  Its also helpful to me to know where LGBT status is viewed as a "positive admissions factor."  I'm on the bubble of so many schools that I need any help I can get.  I was surprised by some of the schools who viewed LGBT status as a positive admit factor; notably Loyola Marymount and Fordham.   The data was enough for me to apply for a loooooooooooongshot chance of admit at Duke and Cornell.   btw Cornell goes as far as to ask about lgbt status on the application.

I don't know how big a factor lgbt status is but at least its not something entirely overlooked by law schools.  Also, at a minimum I'm happy to learn that it appears that LGBT apps are not viewed negatively by adcomms

wtwall

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
I'm sure everyone has their own interpretations and own definitions of what constitutes "liberal." I have never been there so I have no idea...

I thought Duke was pretty gay-friendly even though others would probably fiercely disagree. *Shrugs*

I was actually going to use the example that Duke was decried by the northernors as being too southern and the southernors as being too northern. 

In retrospect, I don't really think the student body as a whole was not gay-friendly, but it felt like a bad place to be gay and single and acclimating to your identity. 

This hits the heart of what I'm curious about.  I went to undergrad in a very rural, pretty conservative background.  I've worked for the past three years after undergrad in the same environment and have just started to explore the idea of coming out of the closet.  Law school will be a huge transition in and of itself.  I don't feel I need to go to the gay-friendliest school, I just want to try to pick a school where I'll be comfortable not pretending to be straight.  I'm a private person by nature, so I'll never be one of those people that shouts it to the wind (nothing against that!!) -- but I'm really tired of having to rebuke coworkers' attempts to set me up with a girl w/o being honest with them about who I am.

Does any of that make sense?  I'm prone to rambling a bit.  What I'm trying to say is...I want a school where, if someone asks me if I'm gay, I can just say yes and not worry too much about a huge backlash.  I'm sure as I become more open, I'll want to get involved in gay-rights groups and the like...but at this point, I just want a place where I'll be semi-comfortable.

BTW, thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Anybody that has more, please feel free. :)

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2006, 05:20:12 PM »
UIUC is 3 points away from your 30-90 request, but I can tell you what it's like for undergrad.  Honestly though, I think undergrad, especially at such a big school, is going to be way different from law school.  Even the biggest law schools don't have classes much above 500.  I did what you seem to be hoping for- getting used to it, getting comfortable, telling when asked- during freshman/sophomore year but I had a huge selection of people and groups to choose to spend time with, so I chose carefully.  After spending time with them and coming out to them enough, it wasn't scary to be honest with people I didn't know as well.

it seems like what might be important in your search would be to make sure the schools you are interested in have active LGBT groups, along with nearby civilization and maybe a larger school community. 

Also, I know it's not midwest, but Northeastern (in Boston) calls itself the queerest law school in the country. I've gotten two lgbt mailings from them, one at school, and one to my parents' house (I have NO idea how they got that address, but it happened to come christmas eve when i was there for dinner) which had a handwritten note from the dean of admissions, who is queer.
Teach For America*Chicago

Bouzie1982

« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
HELP!!!!    Financial aid question!!

My parents are divorced and my father has cut off all support since I came out to him (not that this was much in the first place).  I spoke to him about the financial aid process and he flat out refuses to disclose any of his financial information to me or to any law school.  Has anyone run into something similar?  What should I do????

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh why is ruining my life my fathers mission????

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2006, 02:51:47 PM »
I'm sorry, Bouzie.  That's just terrible.

There were a couple of people in this situation last year, but unfortunately both of them have deleted their accounts.  I think the best thing to do is to contact the schools to explain.  Most will make an exception for you if you are willing to put in writing that you aren't going to receive any support from your father and that if he has a major change of heart you will let them know immediately. (If you have previous contact with the admissions office, call there first; if they like you and want you to matriculate, they may make a special call on your behalf to the financial aid office.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »
Thanks for your resonses Sax and Ms P.  Please don't feel sorry for me ;) I wasnt expecting any support from him anyway but i thought he would AT LEAST fill out a damned form...urgh.  Maybe Ill start by attaching an addendum to the financial aid forms? That seems to be what Emory suggests.  This might be a little easier if I wasn't applying to twenty schools....yeah I know- I have weird numbers

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »
bouzie, I'm in similar situation and was planning to just call schools individually to ask about it.  I'm only applying to 8 though...

I have to wonder, do people's parents actually contribute to paying for law school?  it seems so cruel to ask for parents' financial information otherwise, but maybe that means a lot of people do have parents willing to foot the bill.  mind-boggling to me....
Teach For America*Chicago

Bouzie1982

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
bouzie, I'm in similar situation and was planning to just call schools individually to ask about it.  I'm only applying to 8 though...

I have to wonder, do people's parents actually contribute to paying for law school?  it seems so cruel to ask for parents' financial information otherwise, but maybe that means a lot of people do have parents willing to foot the bill.  mind-boggling to me....

Bridget, I'm with you!  Actually, I don't quite understand those who have parents contribute to their undergrad degrees.  I know its pretty standard but its just foreign to me so i dont get it ;)

Bouzie1982

« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2006, 06:26:16 PM »
I think because many students are claimed as dependents on their parents tax returns up until age 25, that schools just ask for information from everyone, as most students probably enter under that age. 

Saxby,

It makes sense if applicants are claimed by their parents on taxes.  However, I can't think of one person that I know for whom this is the situation.  It borders on silly for many.  I'm a high school teacher three years out of undergrad, rummaging through my mommys finances seems ridiculously silly.  But I'll humor them since I want to go to law school: :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2006, 01:09:35 AM »

Bridget, I'm with you!  Actually, I don't quite understand those who have parents contribute to their undergrad degrees.  I know its pretty standard but its just foreign to me so i dont get it ;)

I am, um, significantly older than all of you, and my parents are not contributing to law school.  (I've lived on my own for half of my life now!)  None of the schools to which I applied released me from the obligation of providing my parents' tax returns, etc.  I think it's totally insane.  I would hate to see what my expected contribution would look like without my merit scholarships... (and I may find out next year!)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.