Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155784 times)

waningdelusion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2006, 02:14:13 AM »
yeah, i didn't get around to reading every page, so sorry if anything has been said already.

so funny story, at the dallas forum i talked to the baylor rep about the glbt representation on campus, etc...and she tells me, no joke, i don't advise you to attend baylor or to mention your orientation in your application as it will most certainly dissuade the admissions officers from viewing your application without bias or possibly discrimination.  now she said this without making eye contact while tripping over every word.

that being said, it took all of two weeks after complete for them to accept me andoffer me full tuition, and i came out very clearly in my ps.  so maybe it was just her...i look forward to visiting, seeing what it's really like, though it's at the bottom of my list.

also, OMG.  so i'm from a west texas southern baptist farm family, totally not out to my family.  and yes, they send things to the perm.  at first i had my mother open things for me because i didn't want to wait until the mailed them to me...she was like "you have been selected for this mailing because uhm....uh...i uh...i don't really understand this.  it'snothing.  i'll just mail it to you.  i dont'know.  shoudl i throw it away?  no?  well.  i can send it to you if you want, it's nothing.  whatever.  i uh...oh.  another call.  love you!"  no joke.  a week later, i find out what it said.  so advice to you all, have your parents forward anything directly to you if you're worried about it. 

lastly, in between applying and waiting for some answers i've become rather obsessed with lsd, and it's wonderful to find this thread!  am i rambling?  okay i'm a little drunk, i can never resist a martini or three on wednesday.  whelp. 

holla

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2006, 07:08:15 PM »
So yeah, I bombed the LSAT (152)... anyone know of any schools with LGBT programs in tier 3 and 4?

-Ali

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:49 PM »
Waning, that is weird about Baylor... I can't believe they would openly tell you that if you're gay you have a worse chance of getting in - that is shocking really.
Possibly shocking, but absolutely nothing illegal or actionable about it.

for darlinalexi - have you looked at the LSAC guide? Do you want specifically LGBT-related programs, or just an LGBT-friendly environment?

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2006, 01:56:35 AM »
I would be happy with either program.  I am straight, but I'm interested in public interest law with a focus on lgbt advocacy law.

-Alexi

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2006, 10:02:13 PM »
I would be happy with either program.  I am straight, but I'm interested in public interest law with a focus on lgbt advocacy law.

-Alexi
Take a look at the LSAC guide; it lists schools that have a more favorable environment, as well as available programs. Consider that a lot of public interest programs would also give you the opportunity for independent research/externships, I'd think. (Not sure about religious universities on that front; I think in that subset, ymmv). Take a look at conferences like Lavender Law, and see which schools are sending people to talk at them; then you have a bit of an idea of where some of the faculty are that are involved in research. Also, contact the LGBT student organizations at the places where you're interested in going; they can give you an idea of the classes.

I'm not much of a public interest/LGBT law person myself outside of personal interest. I remember when I was applying that Hofstra sent me a bunch of info. Depending on your numbers, also consider something like this: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/financial/stonewall.html

Hopefully some of this helps.

wtwall

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »
Howdy all.

Anybody out there care to comment regarding any rank 30-90 schools in the Midwest-ish area that are pretty gay-friendly?  So far, I'm in at Cincinnati and am particularly curious about the school and the city, as I've heard good things about both. 

Anything in general about Midwest schools in that rank range (no, I won't be getting into the likes of U-Chicago or NW, trust me :D) would be appreciated, though.

powpow62

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2006, 10:15:25 AM »
Howdy all.

Anybody out there care to comment regarding any rank 30-90 schools in the Midwest-ish area that are pretty gay-friendly?  So far, I'm in at Cincinnati and am particularly curious about the school and the city, as I've heard good things about both. 

Anything in general about Midwest schools in that rank range (no, I won't be getting into the likes of U-Chicago or NW, trust me :D) would be appreciated, though.

For sure you can feel the old-timer grunts directed at gays Ė but I think you can find that in all mid west cities.  Despite Cincinnatiís conservative rep, I think UC is really open to gays.  Music and design are really big at UC for undergrad and grad.  Also, at the law school there are so many people there for the Urban Morgan Institute for Human Rights.  I really feel like those programs have attracted a lot of people with progressive attitudes.  Thatís just my observation - Iím assuming you could find a lot of the same in most urban campuses. 

If you do come visit be sure to go to the Northside.  Itís a neighborhood close to the university with great eats, drinks, and music.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
Howdy all.

IU-Bloomington---great school and great atmosphere.  Liberal haven in the middle of Indiana.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
I have a friend at IUB right now who claims it is pretty conservative but that's just his interpretation I guess.

Really?  Thats not what I got from there but he probably has more of a knowledge base than I do.  The town has a Buddhist monastery and is home to HH the Dalai Lama's brother, how conservative could it be??? ;)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm sure everyone has their own interpretations and own definitions of what constitutes "liberal." I have never been there so I have no idea...

I thought Duke was pretty gay-friendly even though others would probably fiercely disagree. *Shrugs*

I was actually going to use the example that Duke was decried by the northernors as being too southern and the southernors as being too northern. 

In retrospect, I don't really think the student body as a whole was not gay-friendly, but it felt like a bad place to be gay and single and acclimating to your identity.