Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 154483 times)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2006, 01:14:44 AM »
I believe a wave of LGBT CRS letters was sent out from us (and I hope we qualify as a "big name"), but I don't know how they decided who would get it.  Admits should be getting an email or phone call based on CRS or their personal statement, but none of that has started yet.

degrassi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2006, 12:37:57 PM »
I believe a wave of LGBT CRS letters was sent out from us (and I hope we qualify as a "big name"), but I don't know how they decided who would get it.  Admits should be getting an email or phone call based on CRS or their personal statement, but none of that has started yet.

Yes, Harvard did send out LGBT information as did Columbia. These = big names in my book!

It was definitely all based on the CRS info from LSAC though -- I hadn't even applied to the places yet before receiving the LGBT letters/etc.
HLS '10

LSN

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2006, 12:42:45 PM »
I'm a straight female, but I am wanting to go to school for LGBT advocacy and public interest law.  I'd also be interested in learning which top schools are not receptive to gay issues or don't feel that it is a relevant issue in their curriculum.

I'm also applying to the Hofstra fellowship, and I'm worried that I might get backlash because I'm not an LGBT candidate.  However, the only reason I want to be a lawyer is so I can fight for equal rights.

And if you are reading this and thinking to yourself "she's a hag"... you're correct :)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2006, 02:41:46 PM »
That's interesting--maybe the CRS mailings were for people who had not applied yet?  I have not gotten anything LGBT related from Harvard or Columbia, although I would certainly welcome some stuff! I checked the CRS box, but I didn't write about it in my statements.

Bouzie: I've also been searching LSN for other LGBT applicants! It's really easy to do a site search through google.  BTW, how did your re-take go?
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Bouzie1982

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2006, 02:44:23 PM »
thats awesome darlina!!!...The hofstra thing is interesting since they give away so much financial aid to people with scores over 160 anyway.  It seems like taking the fellowship pays less than standard aid packages and forces people into committing to lgbt stuff.  This could be completely cool, but also take into account that Hofstra isnt exactly placing people at the HRC.  Who knows?  definitely an admiral intention on their part ! :)

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
Hey all, thanks Mike for the tip about the Google site search - I'd been hoping to find gay applicants on LSN for *months* and hadn't figured out how to do it!! So, but I'm not seeing queers admitted to schools they would otherwise not have been. Can someone give me a couple examples, either here or PM, to boost my spirits? What about lesbians - not seeing lots of those, admitted or otherwise. Maybe that's a good sign?

Bouzie1982

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2006, 09:18:42 PM »
Mike-  Google, GREAT idea.  I think my retake went exceptionally well, although I don't want to put the cart before the horse.  Scored a 163 in Sept  My practice tests were round 'bout 175 so I'm not too sure what to expect.  I've decided that I'll be happy with anything over 165 but am expecting a score significantly higher- we'll see.  Thank you for asking :)

Also, I'm in the process of writing about 5 different personal statements---I can never stay with one for long without coming up with a different approach.  Does anyone want to volunteer to read through the final product sometime soon.  I'd love to get an LGBT person's perspective.  I'd be eternally grateful and will repay you with lots of good vibes ;)

Bouzie1982

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »
Who wouldn't know Mrs. Garrett?

This is the LGBT thread....biased sample ;)

louisville43

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2006, 10:34:42 AM »
For those of you that came out in your application, how did you do it? I mean, I mentioned it in my one-page diversity statement, but it was by no means the central theme in that essay, but rather, one of a number of other factors, e.g., my ethnicity. I'm wondering if perhaps I was a bit too discrete and they didn't catch it, since I haven't received a single LGBT-targeted mailing. Thanks!

My personal statement was probably a little different than most.  I talked about my relationship with my father and how it evolved over the years, from his concerns about my work ethic (or lack thereof) and my sexual orientation, to the pride at how I'd developed into a hardworking man.  I also talked about how as a gay man in his 40's, I could add a perspective that might otherwise be missing from class discussions.  I decided to disclose this in the personal statement to see if it made any difference at all to the schools to which I was applying.  So far, so good.  Samford and Mercer let me in pretty quickly, and they're both pretty conservative Southern Baptist schools.
Attending:  Oklahoma City ($$$$)

Accepted but withdrew:  Samford, Drexel($$), Mercer, DePaul ($), Cleveland State ($$$), Drake ($$), Saint Louis ($$), Case Western Reserve ($), Louisville ($)

Waitlisted: Loyola Chicago and W&L(withdrawn)

Out:  Penn

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »
I've been waiting for a Northeastern fee waiver for weeks, and today i finally got one- not because i'm above their 75ths, but because I'm in love with a woman.  I'll take what I can get.

Anyone else get this today?  the waiver form actually has the code CRSGLBT on it.  it's a pretty good mailing, with a mini law magazine featuring their graduates who work for gay rights and a letter from the "gender, sexuality, and the law" professor.
Teach For America*Chicago