Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155513 times)

degrassi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »
Ditto, bridget. Although mine is not centered on the issue at all, it is mentioned (hopefully not in a bad way, this thread made me a bit nervous). While it was torn apart by some readers on LSD, it wasn't in regard to the queer issue.
HLS '10

LSN

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »
Oh and has anyone else the latent or not so latent heterosexism/homophioba of LSN; so strange.

Not-so-latent, and both.  It's nice to see someone acknowledge it, Bouzie.

And RACISM!!! I was scooting around LSN yesterday and every other post is "You only got in because of AA, and you will fail miserably." OMG! I don't want to go to school with these people!!

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2006, 06:57:17 PM »
Hey all, has anyone been finding scholarship info for queer students, or perhaps public interest scholarships that aren't associated with particular law schools? I'm starting to freak out about how I'm going to fund this whole endeavor!

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2006, 06:16:28 PM »
funny you should ask...  I got a mailing today from Hofstra about a fellowship for students who want to work as LGBT advocates.  it doesn't give an exact dollar amount, but it says something like "substantial" plus funding to work with LGBT related non-profits during the summers.

UChicago has the Stonewall Scholarship, which again isn't listed as a specific amount.  But I like to think they don't name and publicize a scholarship if it's $50 a year and a free school sweatshirt.

University of Washington has a new-ish program funded by the Gates Foundation that provides full tuition and a living expenses stipend for students committed to public interest in general.  many other schools have public interest scholarships- georgetown and nyu for sure.

On a related note, I went to a workshop about anti-gay statistics at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Conference a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to find it was being given by a team from the Williams Institute of UCLA's law school.  I had no idea such a thing existed.  It's a whole institute devoted to sexuality law at a great school.  I was really impressed and after more research, am applying to UCLA.  They have a special concentration in Public Interest and Policy that looks really cool, too.
Teach For America*Chicago

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:52 PM »
tag
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »
I got the Hofstra thing too! At first I was like, "Eh, might as well," but it requires whole separate letters of recommendation and everything! Please!

Bouzie1982

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »
Yeah, they sent stuff to me as well.  I would have applied although I'm nervous to COMMIT myself to LBGT advocacy at the moment...who knows where the study of law will take me.  Also, judging from LSN I'll likely be considered for considerable merit aid exclusive of the glbt schol. thing..

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:17 PM »
and, for those of you worried about LGBT mailings at home, the envelope was plain- no nudity or rainbows, just the hofstra address.  the letter said the fellowship is open to all students regardless of orientation, so even if your parents open it, it can be one of those "they send it to everyone" deals.
Teach For America*Chicago

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2006, 02:16:47 AM »
Got a viewbook/fee waiver packet from Oregon university today.  An extra LBGTQ recruiting letter was also included.  It was well hidden, so no one could have seen it unless I showed it to them.  And, it was on better looking paper than the official recruiting letter.

P.S.  I've never seen LGBTQ before.  Q = queer?  Don't LGB&T all mean "queer" in one way or another?

There are a lot of people who feel as if they don't fit neatly into the other categories, hence they are queer-identified, but not necessarily lesbian or bisexual (for example). 

Also, in some contexts, Q means "questioning."
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:33 AM »
speaking of LGBTQ, as the GSA adviser at a high school I get mailings basically everyday and the acronym is ever expanding.  Haven't decided if this is a good thing for the sake of inclusiveness or if including 'questioning' people with others who are sure of their identity is something that isn't good for the community.  who knows...