Law School Discussion

Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?

Re: Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
BEWARE OF WHITTIER!!!

Before I was in law school I heard that they will take applications until the week before law school starts.  So, I went through the hassle of DRIVING dowm to get my application and fee in to them.

On the Friday before law school was going to start I still hadn't heard anything.  Those bastards told me they could not give me the answer over the phone and I needed to DRIVE (about 200 miles!!!) to the school --- and that I'd be glad I did.   I got to the school AND THE LETTER WAS NOT READY!!!  At 4:30 I (and about 10 others who had been given the same happy horse-sh$t) got our "letters" --- and none of us were accepted (even though some had VERY HIGH LSATS).

I have since been told that Whittier had their fall class selected munths before and accepts last minute applications merely to fill their bank accounts!!!!  Be warned!!!

I got an email from Whittier stating that my application was incomplete and so I called them and asked if it was even worthwhile for me to complete it since it is so late and she said yes it was because they still had some open seats for this Fall but that I'd better hurry since school starts in 2 weeks.....after reading what tired3L wrote, it sounds like it's bull, what to do?

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »
Whittier accepted me in march with a full ride.  After I sent them my withdraw notice, they decided to send me a formal rejection letter....can they get away with this? 

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
I attended Whittier last year and actually thought it was a pretty good experience. My professors were top notch and I abosrbed a hell of a lot of information. 

Oh, and a note to tired3L, I did make time to go out and enjoy the recreational activities and bars. I also spent a *&^% load of time in the library. In the end, I was very pleased with my grades and ranking.

Overall, I think Whittier can be a match for some people and if you work your ass off  you don't have to worry about being in the 30% that don't make it. 

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »
I would avoid whittier at all costs. It's a big "what if" game - if they lose accrediation entirely before you graduate, what are you going to do? "If" you do well in school, you have a shot at getting a job under a former Whitter student - and you have to pray there isn't an outside influence that will tell the alum that you are weak due to the "strength" of the school. And "if" you don't have a shot at a job from an alum, what are you going to do? Practice in California ONLY, since you can't sit for another state's bar. So you better pray someone thinks highly of YOU, because your school's rep won't do it for you.

There are other schools, including La Verne, that will have a stronger reputation and will make you a stronger legal candidate. La Verne is, as of today, only accepting Sprin 07 applications, but that's not a bad thing. Smaller applicant pool = more scholarship $$. If your only option at this point is Whittier, you may want to consider applying to other schools for Spring. I don't think its worth the gamble....

im gonna disagree and say that it will be a long time before la verne has a strong rep that whittier. simply going by alumni numbers, it seems highly unlikely

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »
I would avoid whittier at all costs. It's a big "what if" game - if they lose accrediation entirely before you graduate, what are you going to do? "If" you do well in school, you have a shot at getting a job under a former Whitter student - and you have to pray there isn't an outside influence that will tell the alum that you are weak due to the "strength" of the school. And "if" you don't have a shot at a job from an alum, what are you going to do? Practice in California ONLY, since you can't sit for another state's bar. So you better pray someone thinks highly of YOU, because your school's rep won't do it for you.

There are other schools, including La Verne, that will have a stronger reputation and will make you a stronger legal candidate. La Verne is, as of today, only accepting Sprin 07 applications, but that's not a bad thing. Smaller applicant pool = more scholarship $$. If your only option at this point is Whittier, you may want to consider applying to other schools for Spring. I don't think its worth the gamble....

im gonna disagree and say that it will be a long time before la verne has a strong rep that whittier. simply going by alumni numbers, it seems highly unlikely

It depends on the area you are considering. If you're looking anywhere east of Whittier, Whittier grads have little to no shot at a job when compared to a grad from La Verne. The job market in the inland empire is already strongly occupied by La Verne grads and will give opportunities to new grads from La Verne - not from Whittier. Also if you want to take your degree elsewhere, the only degree that will provide an opportunity to work is a degree from La Verne (assuming accreditation is revoked at Whittier...and if not, most employers will hold a provisional accred. higher than a probation.)

Sorry to burst your bubble supergirl,  but there is NO WAY that La Verne is in anyway better than Whittier.  I respect the fact that you are going there, but you don't have to make yourself feel better by saying that La Verne is better than Whittier.  And besides, who the hell wants to practice in the Inland Empire over Orange County?!

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »
Wow...a flame war featuring a provisionally approved school vs. a probational school, and the OC vs. the IE.

This is fantastic.

Carry on.

We havent seen a flame war in a while...those are usually the threads I find entertainingg!  I havent been checking LSD too often, but notice that when I do there isnt much action anywhere.  I am assuming people are getting settled in and ready to start school...

Notice all the flame wars always involve lower Tier people attacking other lower Tier people? 

As Krudder says...carry on. 

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
Wow...a flame war featuring a provisionally approved school vs. a probational school, and the OC vs. the IE.

This is fantastic.

Carry on.

Does this mean I get to piss on William Mitchell students? Should I start my own thread?

Where the he!! are my pompoms?

Oingo

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »

It depends on the area you are considering. If you're looking anywhere east of Whittier, Whittier grads have little to no shot at a job when compared to a grad from La Verne. The job market in the inland empire is already strongly occupied by La Verne grads and will give opportunities to new grads from La Verne - not from Whittier. Also if you want to take your degree elsewhere, the only degree that will provide an opportunity to work is a degree from La Verne (assuming accreditation is revoked at Whittier...and if not, most employers will hold a provisional accred. higher than a probation.)

Sorry to burst your bubble supergirl,  but there is NO WAY that La Verne is in anyway better than Whittier.  I respect the fact that you are going there, but you don't have to make yourself feel better by saying that La Verne is better than Whittier.  And besides, who the hell wants to practice in the Inland Empire over Orange County?!

Just because Whittier was one of the only schools to accept you, and you chose to attend, doesn't mean you have to attack my rationale by attacking me.

Many people want to practice in the Inland Empire over Orange Country. Population is less dense and the ratio of population to lawyers is significantly less, meaning the job market is less saturated and, therefor, the likelihood of getting a job - and a "better" job - upon graduation is higher than compared to the OC. Not to mention the difference in traffic...ugh.

to quote you - "who the hell" would choose a school on probation and may not even be recognized by the ABA upon graduation over a school that is guaranteed ABA accrediation upon graduation? That alone "makes La Verne better"....even though that wasn't my point, but if its yours now, then I'll argue it.

you shouldn't make an ass out of yourself by assuming that i'm going to Whittier and that was the only school I was accepted to because that IS NOT the case and I have never said that (just because that may be your case)... I am just defending a school that has been around a while and many people are attending over La Verne...you are bashing it just to make La Verne sound better... you are the one moving far just to attend a provisionally accredited school that has barely been around. I wasn't trying to start anything, but apparently, you want to, so keep going.

grendel20

• imma boy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
You know what would be reall cool? If Supergirl and LAgirlie met at a neutral site -- say, in San Bernardino or Riverside -- and had a knock-down, drag-out baby oil bikini battle to determine which is better, Whittier or Laverne. Pictures would have to be posted, of course, and the battle won't count unless at least one top is ripped off.

how insensitive and condascending towards women!

(whisper: whipped cream n bikini battle!)