Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?  (Read 5521 times)

scman

• View Profile
Re: Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »
funny thing is that they ALL are bad...at least thats what  people think ..who knows if they are..and bar passage rates cant be used a  guide..that just means some schools took in better students to begin with..it says nothing about the quality of the school..cause if harvard students went to whittier and then they  had a high pass rate..would whittier then all sudden be considered a better school even though nothing about the school changed...the rankings and reputation assessments are a scam...

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
funny thing is that they ALL are bad...at least thats what  people think ..who knows if they are..and bar passage rates cant be used a  guide..that just means some schools took in better students to begin with..it says nothing about the quality of the school..cause if harvard students went to whittier and then they  had a high pass rate..would whittier then all sudden be considered a better school even though nothing about the school changed...the rankings and reputation assessments are a scam...

Well I think attrition rate also says a lot about the quality of the school & how happy the students are there. Chapman has the lowest attrition rate of any tier 4 in CA. I think that says about about the school.

Celtigo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
LaVerne has a law school thats ABA approved?

Also southwestern needs to be included, or are they tier 3?

Chapman
Cal Western
Western State
Thomas Jefferson
Whittier

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 09:06:35 AM »
SW is tier 3 and leaps and bounds above all of these.

Chapman
Cal Western
Whittier
Western State
Thomas Jefferson

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »
LaVerne has a law school thats ABA approved?

According the postcards they've sent me, ULV is "Inland Southern California's only ABA accredited law school."  I believe they just barely got ABA accreditation.

yea, provisionally accreditation i believe

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 05:39:47 PM »
wannaB1L's official guide to 4th Tier Law Schools in SoCAL

TIER 1
1. Chapman

TIER 2
2. Cal Western
2. Whittier

TIER 3
4. La Verne

TIER 4
5. Western State
6. Thomas Jefferson

I used both qualitative and quantitative methodologies and epistemologies to complile these ranking.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

tired3L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
BEWARE OF WHITTIER!!!

Before I was in law school I heard that they will take applications until the week before law school starts.  So, I went through the hassle of DRIVING dowm to get my application and fee in to them.

On the Friday before law school was going to start I still hadn't heard anything.  Those bastards told me they could not give me the answer over the phone and I needed to DRIVE (about 200 miles!!!) to the school --- and that I'd be glad I did.   I got to the school AND THE LETTER WAS NOT READY!!!  At 4:30 I (and about 10 others who had been given the same happy horse-sh$t) got our "letters" --- and none of us were accepted (even though some had VERY HIGH LSATS).

I have since been told that Whittier had their fall class selected munths before and accepts last minute applications merely to fill their bank accounts!!!!  Be warned!!!

tired3L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 10:13:05 PM »
One more thing.  Whittier's campus reminds my of my Junior High School!  (I think somebody mentioned this in this thread.)

Check out ULV.  They are giving out great scholarship and have their ABA now.

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
Whittier is in a decent area in my view because it is near the sea. The coast there is great for surfing, sailing, fishing, & kayaking. The school looks nice. The students looked smart, and there was ample parking. I read on one of these posts that the parking is free. Their professors come from well regarded schools. They are part of Whiittier College, a very old undergrad school less than a 1/2 hour away founded by the Quakers in 1800s. If you are smart, do well, and are motivated I think that you can do well by going there. All around it seems like a good school. It seems unfair that some other schools have an even lower Bar Pass, and are left alone. It is my impression that the school accepts some students based on soft factors like race, poverty, minority status, gender at the expense of LSAT #s. Accepting people with a lower LSAT entails accepting folks who are going to have a greater likelyhood of failing to pass the bar. I don't think that they should be punished nor rewarded for their attempt at diversity. I do not believe that they will loose ther accredidation. It seems like a good school except for the scary fact that they have a 30something % drop out rate. That is a VERY frightening indicator in my view. I could live with an 18%(?) like Southwestern, would prefer an attrition rate below 10%, but 30% is quite high.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

tired3L

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 10:46:16 PM »
Don't fool yourself!  There is a reason the parking is "free!"  The parking lot is not covered and it was 100 degrees when I was there a week ago!

As far as "recreation," you are kidding yourself if you think you're going to have time to go to the beach and hang out!  All of the people I know who had any kind of a life outside of the law library or study group during the first year are G.O.N.E.!

Whittier has a reputation of KICKING OUT LOTS AND LOTS OF STUDENTS.  (So does Southwestern and La Verne, too.)  It is very frightening to see medical doctors and people with advanced degrees in engineering and physics from schools like MIT and Harvard get the boot!

If you're already in --- good luck!  But, take my advice.  When people tell you that they "only study a couple hours a day," don't believe a word!  They are probably studying until 2 a.m.!