Law School Discussion

Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?

Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?
« on: July 11, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »
Any info (good or bad) about Whittier Law School would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Whittier Law School- What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »
i emailed them on their status b/c for people applying in the fall, if you accept in april and find out in july aba was revoked, youre screwed. to be honest, i wouldnt apply there. apply to chapman instead, though its tougher to get into.
here was their 'response'

If you were to enroll after we had lost our ABA accreditation, you would be considered a graduate of a California Bar accredited school but not an ABA school. However, we think it is very unlikely that we will lose our ABA accreditation. Since being placed on probation in August 2005, we are commited to further improving our Bar Prep and Academic Success Programs. The ABA visited the law school in March as part of our regular accreditation inspection and, in its exit interview, gave positive reviews of our educational programs. As it would take an entire student cycle for many of our new initiatives to be reflected in our bar pass rate, we feel that it is unlikely that we will lose our accreditation. We saw another increase in our bar pass rate this past February, which has been the trend for the last few years. If the ABA is still unhappy with our bar pass rate it is likely that they will extend our probation another to years in order to see the results of our initiatives.

If you would like more information on our initiatives to remove our law school from probationary status, please visit our website at http://www.law.whittier.edu/admissions/admissions_faq.asp#probation1.

Whittier Law School
Office of Admissions

Wetlist

• Give me the WET list
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »
I attended the admitted student open house at Whittier last month.  Here are my thoughts:

I had the chance to speak with one of the deans of admission.  Everyone wanted to know what was the deal with their ABA status.  The dean claimed that the main reason reason for their probationary status is their low bar passage rate.  And because of this, Whittier is more selective than ever in terms of LSAT scores.  He admitted the school let in too many people with low LSATs, and the school suffered the consequences for doing so.  Their new admissions policy puts a much heavier emphasis on hard factors, and less emphasis on soft factors.  He said there was a hard cut-off LSAT score.  I forgot what score exactly.  And, bar prep classes have been emphasized and improved to raise the bar passage rate. 

The facilities are good.  They look very new.  Nice wide open courtyard.  Big library.  FREE PARKING  Comfortable environment.  Nothing fancy.

The location is good:  very close to newport beach, south coast plaza. Costa Mesa cool places to hang out like the Anti-Mall, Gypsy Den, Gigantic Barnes and Noble. 

Starting salary median is a bit higher than Chapman.  I would think employment prospects would be better than Chapman (at least for now) because of the larger alumni base.  I'd still pick Chapman over Whittier though. 

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
My thoughts on Whittier:

I didn't like the campus. It felt/looked like a high school more than a law school. The law library is big and spacious however.

It seems likemost Whittier grads get jobs in the public sector (DAs office/Public Defender's office). I don't know what the job opportunities are like for Whittier grad in law firms...from Chapman's stats it seems like the majority of the chapman grads work in the private sector (sometihng like 66%) so I'd be a little worried that the private sector jobs would be taken by Chapman grads.

I did a review on Chapman v. Whittier here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,55394.0.html

Check it out & let me know if you have any questions. :)

Generally I would say Whittier over Western State, Chapman over Whitter.

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »
one reason to avoid whittier at all costs; 30% of first yr class forced to fail.  im not saying you'd end up in the 30%, just that you may never know.  And of the 70% who do go on to 2nd yr, only 30% pass the bar.  something is seriously wrong with that school. i doubt the students are that dumb

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »
one reason to avoid whittier at all costs; 30% of first yr class forced to fail.  im not saying you'd end up in the 30%, just that you may never know.  And of the 70% who do go on to 2nd yr, only 30% pass the bar.  something is seriously wrong with that school. i doubt the students are that dumb

Great point!

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 10:22:43 PM »
i picked whittier over western state, and if chapman ever decides to take me off the waitlist then i'm there for sure!!! so i'm hoping all you loyola/usd waitlisted people that are going to chapman get off of those waitlists so we can all be much happier  :)

i went to whittier today and got a tour and it was actually NOT THAT BAD at all...

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 10:25:12 PM »
Bill Handel went there.  He's pretty funny and I like his show.

http://www.handelonthelaw.com/

scman

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »
rate the tier 4 schools in so cal. here is my list

cal western

chapman

western state

whittier

thomas jefferson

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
1. chapman
2. cal western
3. whittier
4. thomas jeff
5. western state