a
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
a

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Bboy,
I see you're back in full form.

I am not surprised. Mr Fox's comment a year or so ago verified his views on black americans.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Race is a very complicated topic in Latin American studies in general.  One thing I'm curious about is whether the study paid much attention to the race of the Latino respondents much, if at all.  One problem might just be an under-sampling of black or zambo/pardo Latinos.   :-\

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Bboy,
I see you're back in full form.

Oh stop it, this is an interesting study. I'm sure this will surprise just about everyone here.

Except, perhaps, someone who has lived in a black/latino neighborhood.
Anyway, I have heard black people say some very negative things about Latinos as well.
Yes, law school URMs tend to be friendly with one another, but I don't see a reason to presume that would be the case in general.

J D

• View Profile
Race is a very complicated topic in Latin American studies in general.  One thing I'm curious about is whether the study paid much attention to the race of the Latino respondents much, if at all.  One problem might just be an under-sampling of black or zambo/pardo Latinos.   :-\

I have a good friend who is Chilean, he taught his 2 y/o daughter to spit on the ground everytime some says "Peru."  Apparently she did it at a family get together and got a standing ovation.

I'm not sure I see your point.  The fact that there are powerful national tensions amongst Latin American nations is not inconsistent with the idea that there are also strong racial tensions within and across Latin American national groups.   :-\

J D

• View Profile
This study isn't really surprising or cutting edge, DSCH. Well maybe it is to non-immigrants. But anyway, being from an immigrant family, I think most immigrants have an initially negative view of African Americans because:

A) From Africa to South America to Europe to Asia to anywhere, negative portrayals of African Americans are what we are exposed to before coming to America.

B) We came here for a better life = Seek to ally ourselves with power = Opportunistic preference for White Americans.

C) There's only so much to go around and White Americans have taken the majority. Many African Americans are aware they are in competition with immigrants for what's left = Tension between immigrants of all groups and African Americans.

D) There are just more White Americans, especially in the nice areas most immigrants aspire to live in. If you're around a group long enough, you're going to identify with them more.

I don't think this is a racial thing. African and Caribbean immigrants seem just as prone to identifying with White Americans as other immigrants. And I don't think this 'phenomenon' speaks to any merit White Americans may or may not have. Plus I also think that with enough exposure, most immigrants eventually learn that automatic stereotyping of African Americans is unfair and backwards.

I might be going out on a limb here, but wasn't there also (at least with respect to Latin America) a tradition in the late 19th century of associating progress and civilization with whiteness and Western European culture, while conversely associating "barbarism" with non-whiteness, with the cultural traditions of Africa and the indigenous peoples of the New World?  Could that tradition still have some resonance even now, even if people aren't consciously aware of it or appreciative of it?

maddlibs

• Another round of Goose Halfie!
    • View Profile
This study isn't really surprising or cutting edge, DSCH. Well maybe it is to non-immigrants. But anyway, being from an immigrant family, I think most immigrants have an initially negative view of African Americans because:

A) From Africa to South America to Europe to Asia to anywhere, negative portrayals of African Americans are what we are exposed to before coming to America.

B) We came here for a better life = Seek to ally ourselves with power = Opportunistic preference for White Americans.

C) There's only so much to go around and White Americans have taken the majority. Many African Americans are aware they are in competition with immigrants for what's left = Tension between immigrants of all groups and African Americans.

D) There are just more White Americans, especially in the nice areas most immigrants aspire to live in. If you're around a group long enough, you're going to identify with them more.

I don't think this is a racial thing. African and Caribbean immigrants seem just as prone to identifying with White Americans as other immigrants. And I don't think this 'phenomenon' speaks to any merit White Americans may or may not have. Plus I also think that with enough exposure, most immigrants eventually learn that automatic stereotyping of African Americans is unfair and backwards.
SO let me get this straight....If latino immigrants have a bias unfavorable to blacks, it is because of the whites. And then you follow up with explaining away the study, and finish with giving the latino immigrants the benefit of the doubt. ???

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, Trojan is right. Blacks are basically America's underclass, for the most part. If I was going to live in India, I wouldn't associate with anyone Sundra or under.

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well, it apears in ALL sociology texts...and of all the non-whites, the blacks, the ones that came here the first, are still the most discriminated against. Your article is a testament to that.