Law School Discussion

Planet Law School II

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
Planet Law School II
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
I'm making my wa through PLS. I'm a little late to get into the intense study regimen advocated, but the book is provocative enough that I wonder how others have reacted.

I have seen people saying: "Don't bother, it's too negative," and the ilk, but I don't find his tone to be all that negative. Surely his premise that law professors are actively trying to screw you over is over the top, but there is a lot of well-consdiered advice mixed in with his pet peeves and crusades.

My biggest point of contention with the book is that Mr. Falcon needs a freaking editor. Not only does he go on at length when he should get to the point, but the organization is the pits. And there is really no need for a chapter in the middle of the book with emails and letters from readers saying how much they do or do not agree with the book.

All this is a prelude to an invitation to invite others to share their thoughts on the book and discover whether anyone who is in law school now is/was a disciple, and whether anyone has/is following his prelaw prep regimen.

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• We're a team.
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Law School II
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:56:35 AM »
Its has some really solid advice.  Yes some of it is overkill.  The main lessons to take and to take early are to outline right away and practice writing answers to hypotheticals and learning how to spin your own hypos.  A lot of students will wait until the last minute to outline and that will be their downfall.  Others won't bother with practice exams and hypos and that will be their downfall.  If you work as you go things will go much more smoothly.

The prep regime is not necessary.  Although, prepping by learning "examsmanship" and how to outline is a really really good idea.  That will necessarily involve some pre-learning.  If you focus on the Delaney exam book and the LEEWS book you'll be well off and tuned into what you need to know to perform.

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:05:16 AM »
Anyone else care to opine?

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:35:31 AM »
Read it, and I'm on the Yahoo group. The lack of editing drives me nuts, too, but you gotta admit the guy puts a lot of time into helping young students.  And he clearly loves the practice of law... so I forgive him some of his ranting.

I'm reading the Torts E&E... I actually find it kind of fun... does that make me weird?

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »
I've read about 1/3 of the book, just going from section to seciton of the topics I was interested. I think for sure its long-winded and not that concise, but Mr. Falcon does a great job of pointing out some things about th eLS experience that we wouldn't know otherwise.

I think his premise that the system is designed to screw you is a bit over the top, but the point we should be taking away from it is that we should all be taking responsibility for our legal education and our own self-direction and discipline is ESSENTIAL for success.

I got all the books recommended for his prep regimen, but its simply too much work for me since I work full time. I think LLR  and the E&E series are an absolute GEM and have helped me to understand a few basic ideas about legal topics, but I've also heard that too much prep work could be a waste. I'll look once again at his one-week schedule right before school starts, but that will be about it for me.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
I'm reading the Torts E&E... I actually find it kind of fun... does that make me weird?

Torts was actually really fascinating, though it does lose some of its momentum in the later chapters.

Contracts was probably the most boring one I read.  Civil procedure was fascinating and Property has turned out to be more interesting than I expected...I haven't made my way to Estates and Future Interests so it may yet become a snoozer.  I haven't cracked Con or Crim law but I suspect they'll hold my attention.

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
I wasn't going to order the books b/c I don't even have time for the condensed 6-week sked he proposes, but I was swayed by his penny-wise, pound-foolish argument about the value of these additional books. Even if I can't get through it all, it can't hurt me to have it. I ordered the E&Es and the Delaney books. I'm also working my way through the CALI lessons (my school gave me the code no sweat).

I appreciate Falcon's hard work, but a good editor could organize the book much better so that there weren't codas to codas and such a scattering of information (not to mention the typos). I wonder if he did all the indexing himself, too.

Nevertheless, I've found the book more helpful than any other I've read, though I found Getting to Maybe very valuable and know it will be much moreso when exam time nears. Maybe the greatest virtue of the book, like someone in this thread has suggested, is its emphasis on self-reliance, preparation and steady hard work.

I can already tell you some things I can tell I do not trust him on yet: Not buying casebooks, not briefing, and that class is virtually worthless. Given, I ain't there yet, but I promise you I'll be paying close attention in class, briefing cases and reading the casebook first semester.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »
I can already tell you some things I can tell I do not trust him on yet: Not buying casebooks, not briefing, and that class is virtually worthless. Given, I ain't there yet, but I promise you I'll be paying close attention in class, briefing cases and reading the casebook first semester.

Yeah, on the Yahoo group he always says that these are misconceptions about PLS, even though he DOES say them in there--EXCEPT for the not briefing, which he says he should do for a week or so to get the hang of it, then drop it... many of the current law students on the board seem to agree with this.

The board consensus is yes, you should buy your casebooks (and read them!), but get them used... I think Atticus was trying to point out that E&Es are actually more important than the casebooks, so it was a "if you have to choose one" kind of statement.

He also says that you should pay attention in class so you know what your professor focuses on, and what kind of response he likes to hear come exam time.  I think he's just trying to say that most of your learning about the law will come outside the classroom, using study aids.  He's anti-case method and anti-Socratic method, for sure.... I can't really size up these arguments until I start school, so for now, i just see it as another viewpoint to take into consideration when figuring out what way to study works for me.

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:05:31 PM »
Yeah, on the Yahoo group he always says that these are misconceptions about PLS, even though he DOES say them in there--EXCEPT for the not briefing, which he says he should do for a week or so to get the hang of it, then drop it... many of the current law students on the board seem to agree with this.

He just calls briefing "Tools for Fools."  ::)

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
The point of briefing, (haha, like I'm an expert!) is just to teach you how to look at a case and extract the relavant information. I think that once we get good at reading cases, we'll spend less time trying to 'master' it and get to the point where maybe we dont need to write it down at all.