Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ethical Question  (Read 2494 times)

conundrum

Re: Ethical Question
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
for the OP:

Would you join the Hispanic Law Students Organization (or whatever) and tell all of them that you are indeed an hispanic person?

Hell yeah.  Hispanic/Latina chicks are gorgeous.

ceb

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »
for the OP:

Would you join the Hispanic Law Students Organization (or whatever) and tell all of them that you are indeed an hispanic person?

and joining organizations is an important tets for a real urm?

I think SC's point was that if the OP wouldn't tell actual hispanic people that he/she is hispanic, then he/she should not claim minority status on his applications.

Oh, and I just wanted to add that I would find claiming URM status to be morally reprehensible.

ceb

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2006, 01:03:15 PM »
The only way a minority person would not bring a different viewpoint to a look at the law (which is created by the majority and enforced by the majority) and/or possibly experience some cultural disadvantages to being successful is if they don't identify themselves with the minority. 

Yeah, you're right.  Murder should definitely not be illegal.  Since a bunch of old white guys said it, it must be wrong.  We definitely need those other viewpoints.

People that try to game the system is what makes AA suck.

That's laughable.  Affirmative Action sucks because it denigrates the accomplishments of successful minorities by requiring less of them.

Your questionable ethics aside (I still think it's a bad idea, but hey, it's up to you), you just became my new hero.  People think I'm selfish and shallow saying that AA sucks because it hurts me...what they don't see is that it really hurts everyone.  I thought the civil rights movement was, at least partially, about NOT judging people by the color of their skin...

connundrum (I think I know your real poster id, btw.  PM me for details...non-stalkerish btw) = my hero for the next 30 minutes.

I'm a white girl. If I was a URM, I probably would have gotten into Harvard instead of getting a very late rejection from my dream school.  Therefore, does AA "suck"?  Did it "hurt" me?  No.  I've had advantages throughout my life by NOT being a minority.  Furthermore, I believe diversity benefits me.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

I'm a white girl. If I was a URM, I probably would have gotten into Harvard instead of getting a very late rejection from my dream school.  Therefore, does AA "suck"?  Did it "hurt" me?  No.  I've had advantages throughout my life by NOT being a minority.  Furthermore, I believe diversity benefits me.

Hooray!  You can have my "Hero for the next 30 minutes" award.  ;)
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

ceb

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »

Hooray!  You can have my "Hero for the next 30 minutes" award.  ;)
[/quote]

SCgrad

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »
for the OP:

and joining organizations is an important tets for a real urm?

I think SC's point was that if the OP wouldn't tell actual hispanic people that he/she is hispanic, then he/she should not claim minority status on his applications.

Oh, and I just wanted to add that I would find claiming URM status to be morally reprehensible.

haha

yeah, that was my point.

bkoroma22

• MSN Messenger - bkoroma22@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
By the way you'll never get accepted into any Bar in this country. They'll check and know.
Sometimes I just don't know

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »
By the way you'll never get accepted into any Bar in this country. They'll check and know.

I don't think that Bars are in the business of verifying/challenging people's racial identities.  What are they going to do, a dna test? Hire a geaneological investigator?