Law School Discussion

Chances??? 155 LSAT 3.32 UGPA

Chances??? 155 LSAT 3.32 UGPA
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:36:58 PM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to get a feel of where I should/could go with these numbers.

First of all, anyone know how much LSAC will mess with my gpa? I went to McGill in Canada, and from what I've been told, Canadian schools are tougher with grades than the average US school. I'll probably be writing the LSAT again in September, so hopefully I'll be able to aim a little higher after that, but for now, I have to deal with the score I have. Here's some other info about my application:

McGill Honours Poli Sci major (History and Econ minors)
1 year exchange at Sciences Po Paris
MSc International Relations from Universiteit van Amsterdam in 2006-07 (or maybe London School of Economics or King's College, still waiting on decisions)
Iranian background (I don't know if that helps)

I still don't know what I want to study, but my background suggests international law, and I feel like if I focus my application around wanting to study int'l law, then it could look attractive to admissions peeps. Anyway, here are the schools I'm more or less considering. Any info about the schools, comments about my chances are more than welcome!

Cal Western
CUNY
FIU
FSU
Golden Gate
Loyola Marymount LA
NYLS
Pepperdine
Santa Clara
Seattle
Southwestern
Maryland
Miami
San Diego
San Fran

Basically, I'd like to be at a school with an urban campus, preferably a big city, decent reputation, decent weather, etc...

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Re: Chances??? 155 LSAT 3.32 UGPA
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:14 PM »
no takers?

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:45:46 PM »
american university, washington DC if you're interested in international law. and don't be afraid to aim high even though your numbers are 'average'

you'd be suprised what can happen if you put together a steller PS and get some outstanding recs.

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:29 AM »
I have roughly your numbers, and my list of schools to apply to this fall looks alot like yours, but maybe slightly more conservative.

Just don't do what I did and use those numbers to apply to UVA, Cornell, Duke, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, ASU, Emory, W&M, Georgetown, GW, W&L, UMich, UL - Shampoo Banana, etc.

supergirluw

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »
I would consider Gonzaga too - your numbers are slightly high for them, so it would make for a good safety. I would take off of your list Golden Gate - even if you got in, its a risky choice with their probationary accredidation. You could even reach for the University of Washington...it would be a really really big reach, but if you had a great ps and great lor's, you may get in - and i think, with your preferences, you'd be happy there (as long as you had an umbrella.)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:36:29 PM »
I would consider Gonzaga too - your numbers are slightly high for them, so it would make for a good safety. I would take off of your list Golden Gate - even if you got in, its a risky choice with their probationary accredidation. You could even reach for the University of Washington...it would be a really really big reach, but if you had a great ps and great lor's, you may get in - and i think, with your preferences, you'd be happy there (as long as you had an umbrella.)

actually i'm from vancouver so i know the weather all too well in seattle

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
artvandelay, i'm also from vancouver, and I go to Queen's. I don't know exactly how they'll look at our grades, but i'm almost certain LSAC won't make any adjustments for harder marking at Canadian schools. That will be up to individual schools. It might help to include a letter from your dean or department head explaining the grading system and distribution at mcgill, but i'm just guessing here. Also, my understanding is that law schools are very conscious of their position in the US News rankings, which is determined in part by the underdgrad GPAs of their studends. For that reason, schools may be reluctant to give you extra credit for your canadian gpa, because the raw number is what gets used in the rankings. If you learn anything more about this please let me know.

For what it's worth, I took my LSAT at Seattle University and the campus, the law building and the location are very nice.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
i can help you out with the florida schools based strictly on numbers.  i got WL'd from Miami and FSU then denied in 2005 with basically your same stats (a little higher GPA).  i got accepted to FIU and Nova SE this past cycle and chose FIU.

Other schools that you could probably get into, again based solely on numbers, are Pace in NY and Loyola New Orleans.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to get a feel of where I should/could go with these numbers.

First of all, anyone know how much LSAC will mess with my gpa? I went to McGill in Canada, and from what I've been told, Canadian schools are tougher with grades than the average US school. I'll probably be writing the LSAT again in September, so hopefully I'll be able to aim a little higher after that, but for now, I have to deal with the score I have. Here's some other info about my application:

McGill Honours Poli Sci major (History and Econ minors)
1 year exchange at Sciences Po Paris
MSc International Relations from Universiteit van Amsterdam in 2006-07 (or maybe London School of Economics or King's College, still waiting on decisions)
Iranian background (I don't know if that helps)

I still don't know what I want to study, but my background suggests international law, and I feel like if I focus my application around wanting to study int'l law, then it could look attractive to admissions peeps. Anyway, here are the schools I'm more or less considering. Any info about the schools, comments about my chances are more than welcome!

Cal Western
CUNY
FIU
FSU
Golden Gate
Loyola Marymount LA
NYLS
Pepperdine
Santa Clara
Seattle
Southwestern
Maryland
Miami
San Diego
San Fran

Basically, I'd like to be at a school with an urban campus, preferably a big city, decent reputation, decent weather, etc...

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Cal Western-In
CUNY-in
FIU-in
FSU-out
Golden Gate-in
Loyola Marymount LA-out
NYLS-maybe/prob
Pepperdine- out
Santa Clara-out
Seattle- maybe
Southwestern- waitlist