Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown PT - Need a good reason?  (Read 681 times)

finethanks

• View Profile
Georgetown PT - Need a good reason?
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »
Does one need a decent reason to go part-time at Georgetown? Are they looking for people who already have jobs in the DC area and can make a fair case for being part time, rather than people with mediocre numbers willing to go part time and get a job?

And, while we're at it, what do you think the chances of a 3.6/163 are?

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
Re: Georgetown PT - Need a good reason?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »
Does one need a decent reason to go part-time at Georgetown? Are they looking for people who already have jobs in the DC area and can make a fair case for being part time, rather than people with mediocre numbers willing to go part time and get a job?

And, while we're at it, what do you think the chances of a 3.6/163 are?

I think your chances are very very slim.  I believe (I don't know but I believe) that they use part time for people that 1. have jobs 2. still have good numbers though lower than their standard for a full time applicant (remember, a part time grad is still a grad of that school and reflects upon the school) and 3. Add something the school wants/bring something extra to the table.

A student that is "just taking  a job to be in the part time program" doesn't seem to add much.  I don't think you need a good reason to be PT, but you need to present them with a good reason to let you into their PT class.

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »
What does anyone think my chances are with a 3.76 GPA / 157, 165 LSAT.  I now I haven't any chance at the full time program -- I figure I'd be more likely to get in at a place like Cornell or Penn that takes my higher LSAT than a place like Georgetown that averages...

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47:37 AM »
What does anyone think my chances are with a 3.76 GPA / 157, 165 LSAT.  I now I haven't any chance at the full time program -- I figure I'd be more likely to get in at a place like Cornell or Penn that takes my higher LSAT than a place like Georgetown that averages...

Are you URM?

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
nope -- I'm white,  But I have some pretty good soft factors -- lived overseas and have a job working in DC at a firm that I could keep if I went to Georgetown PT and a good reason for the 8 point score difference (my mother was terminally ill)

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »
You have good reason to be in their part time program then and depending on your overseas experience you may have that "extra" to get you into their part time program.  I asked about URM because you talked about being a candidate for their full time program and your numbers seemed really low for full time.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
I have heard that b/c GULC now allows people to apply for both PT and FT, the PT numbers may have gone up... and if it helps, I didn't get in, non-urm, 3.6/167, applied to both, live and work in DC with a job I could keep in legal field, I was waitlisted and pulled myself off, so not sure if I would have eventually gotten in, but I was definitely dissappointed that I didn't get in.
UVA '09

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »
no no -- sorry if I wasn't clear.  I know I haven't got any chance at the Georgetown full time program, silly LSAT.  I said I was more likely to get into Penn or Cornell than Georgetown because they have lower median LSAT scores than Georgetown (still highly unlikely I know) But I'd be pretty happy going to Georgetown PT -- its just a different path than I had originally planned on.  

I've signed up to take the LSAT again -- I figure I have nothing to lose -- but I doubt a score of less than 170 would do anything to change my chances anywhere

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »
I have heard that b/c GULC now allows people to apply for both PT and FT, the PT numbers may have gone up... and if it helps, I didn't get in, non-urm, 3.6/167, applied to both, live and work in DC with a job I could keep in legal field, I was waitlisted and pulled myself off, so not sure if I would have eventually gotten in, but I was definitely dissappointed that I didn't get in.

Oh thanks for the info.  Its the kind of stuff I need to know.  I guess your results suggest I have less of a chance than I thought.  Oh well, such is life.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »
And I definitely saw people with my numbers/similar numbers who did get in, so don't be discouraged... I just wanted to put it out there as something to measure against.
UVA '09