Law School Discussion

Help Me Choose Between 2 PS Topics

Help Me Choose Between 2 PS Topics
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »
1) Working in the shop with my grandfather in Montana.  I vividly describe a saturday afternoon where my grandfather and I are swapping engines in a dump truck.  I talk about the trials we face, and how they're overcome. 

2) Winning two state track titles.  The first I was battling heel bruises, scratched my first two jumps (I was a triple jumper) and in a fit of determination, I bashed my heels on a rock to send my body into shock. My next jump put me into finals and I won on my 4th jump.  Then I was a recruited walk-on at a division 1 school, and there I had to do something similar during the evaluation period, but I made the team.  Then in my 3rd year, get cut by a new coach due to injuries sustained in winning the state track titles.  I can talk about making difficult choices, helping my teammates win (as I won, my team won) and overcoming the disappointment of not finishing my final two years of collegiate jumping. 

I've actually already completed my 2nd rough draft for #1, but now I'm starting to rethink my choice.  Everyone I've talked to that knows me has said that #2 is what stands out most as being their preferred choice.  I'm just thinking that the athlete story may be a bit overdone.  What do you think?

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2 PS Topics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:28:09 PM »
I think that if you handled number 1 right it would be your best choice -- something unusual, highly personal, and memorable. I agree that the athlete thing is highly overdone, and it would be harder for it to stand out. Furthermore, your first instinct was to write about your grandfather. I would keep going with that.

If you'd like me to take a look at it, I'd be happy to.