Law School Discussion

« on: July 08, 2006, 11:27:37 AM »

cesco

• View Profile
Re: My (lame) PS ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »
Being a middle class white boy from Fairfield County, CT, I don't have a whole lot to write about. 

Why do you have to start your thought process like this?  I have seen so many people on this site do it and I dont understand it.  Just because you are a "middle class white boy" doesnt mean your life experiences are boring. 

IMO the strength of your PS is not necessarily the subject, but how you approach the subject and use it to strengthen your candidacy.  I have seen posters on here talk about their love for cooking or romance novels (Moni), or spending time w/a sibling or grandma. 

With that being said, I think any of your three ideas could be great.  What would be the easiest for your to write about?  What are you trying to get across about yourself?  What do you want the adcomms to know about you - is it your independence, your smarts, your drive, etc.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »
Write a version of each and choose your favorite to keep writing. Honestly, you have an advantage being a white middle-class male. You won't get discriminated against based on race or gender, you have enough money to do interesting things/what you enjoy, and you can discuss more than your heritage because the adcomm won't judge you on that. Stop complaining that you have nothing interesting about yourself...you obviously were able to think of three ideas on which you'd be happy writing about.

PhiMuAmberkins

• A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
Write a version of each and choose your favorite to keep writing. Honestly, you have an advantage being a white middle-class male. You won't get discriminated against based on race or gender, you have enough money to do interesting things/what you enjoy, and you can discuss more than your heritage because the adcomm won't judge you on that. Stop complaining that you have nothing interesting about yourself...you obviously were able to think of three ideas on which you'd be happy writing about.

Last time I checked, white males didn't really have any advantages when it comes to getting in to law school.  White females are just a little better off.  But since I'm not an URM, and neither is stotan, we have to stand out a little bit more, since the color of our skin doesn't get us in for "diversity."  (I'm not racist I just think AA is about the stupidest idea ever.) 

I really like the love of reading idea.  My parents also taught me to love books, which is now a running joke with all my friends (who say I'm only obsessed with shoes because the book store makes you wear them in, and purses because I can fill them up with books), but I think you should just pick whichever one you're the most comfortable with.  Of course, I'm hardly a professional writer, and haven't really even started my PS yet.

Good luck!

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 06:10:31 PM »
If you really think they're lame, don't write about them. I don't think you'll be able to write well about something you think is lame.

But, do keep in mind, that just because a topic isn't about being poor, about being a racial minority, or about growing up in an interesting place, it doesn't mean the topic is lame.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 10:36:46 PM »

Last time I checked, white males didn't really have any advantages when it comes to getting in to law school.  White females are just a little better off.  But since I'm not an URM, and neither is stotan, we have to stand out a little bit more, since the color of our skin doesn't get us in for "diversity."  (I'm not racist I just think AA is about the stupidest idea ever.) 

I really like the love of reading idea.  My parents also taught me to love books, which is now a running joke with all my friends (who say I'm only obsessed with shoes because the book store makes you wear them in, and purses because I can fill them up with books), but I think you should just pick whichever one you're the most comfortable with.  Of course, I'm hardly a professional writer, and haven't really even started my PS yet.

Good luck!

I was exhausted when I wrote my reply last night, so it came out a little jumbled. Anyway, what I meant was that adcomms don't have pre-conceived notions based on societal stereotypes/prejudices (obviously not conscious or anything) of white, middle-class males. In fact, if you were to read a person's random essay that described an activity they did (gender, race and class neutral), you would (in America, at least) most likely assume that a white male wrote it. That's really the advantage they have, of being a blank slate, and not having to explain...btw I'm black/hispanic/asian/female/transsexual/etc.

But what bothers me is really what rtqw said -- "that just because a topic isn't about being poor, about being a racial minority, or about growing up in an interesting place, it doesn't mean the topic is lame."

And stotan -- you have 3 great topics posted in this thread. Go write a PS.

LawJedi

• I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
IMHO, you're wrong. Being an upper-middle-class white boy myself, I would say that White people have a huge advantage, period.

Whites make more money than minorities do, are more educated, etc. And it's not because we're necessarily smarter or harder working, but because we have advantages minorities didn't have because of obvious things (civil rights, white privelage, etc). Because we're the majority, people don't look at us as "the black guy" or "that hispanic girl" but rather "that guy" and "that girl."

Granted, It will such when someone who's not as qualified as I am gets into a law school when I don't because they're a minority. But I am sick of people saying "i'm a middle class white boy with no experiences and i'm not going to get into law school because the evil black man is going to take it from me." Grow up and give me a break. Show the AdComm why you'd bring diversity to the school, don't worry about the color of your skin (because you've never had to.)

*off soapbox*

Let the flaming begin!

PhiMuAmberkins

• A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »
IMHO, you're wrong. Being an upper-middle-class white boy myself, I would say that White people have a huge advantage, period.

Whites make more money than minorities do, are more educated, etc. And it's not because we're necessarily smarter or harder working, but because we have advantages minorities didn't have because of obvious things (civil rights, white privelage, etc). Because we're the majority, people don't look at us as "the black guy" or "that hispanic girl" but rather "that guy" and "that girl."

Granted, It will such when someone who's not as qualified as I am gets into a law school when I don't because they're a minority. But I am sick of people saying "i'm a middle class white boy with no experiences and i'm not going to get into law school because the evil black man is going to take it from me." Grow up and give me a break. Show the AdComm why you'd bring diversity to the school, don't worry about the color of your skin (because you've never had to.)

*off soapbox*

Let the flaming begin!

Okay, I'm not going to flame you, I'm just going to say that being white does not necessarily make you more priveleged.  I'm POOR.  Like a church mouse.  I haven't had more advantages, if anything, I've had less.  When I applied to undergrad, my friend bought me a scholarship book.  I qualified for about 4 of them.  Had I been a minority, I would have qualified for many more.  Personally, I don't think it's my fault, problem, or concern whether white people are more educated; if you want an education, you will get it if you want it bad enough...and we shouldn't have to reward mediocrity just because of a certain skin color and perceived disadvantages.  I just think it's ridiculous that someone has a better chance of getting into law school than I do because of skin color.  Answer me this: Doesn't it set civil rights back to reward a certain group on the basis of their race? 

I have VERY strong opinions on this, so I'm gonna get off my soapbox now, before people get too angry with me.

sarp437

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 01:36:54 PM »
Okay, I'm not going to flame you, I'm just going to say that being white does not necessarily make you more priveleged.  I'm POOR.  Like a church mouse.  I haven't had more advantages, if anything, I've had less.  When I applied to undergrad, my friend bought me a scholarship book.  I qualified for about 4 of them.  Had I been a minority, I would have qualified for many more.  Personally, I don't think it's my fault, problem, or concern whether white people are more educated; if you want an education, you will get it if you want it bad enough...and we shouldn't have to reward mediocrity just because of a certain skin color and perceived disadvantages.  I just think it's ridiculous that someone has a better chance of getting into law school than I do because of skin color.  Answer me this: Doesn't it set civil rights back to reward a certain group on the basis of their race? 
I have VERY strong opinions on this, so I'm gonna get off my soapbox now, before people get too angry with me.

I had to logon to comment on this....

Have you taken the time to research AA?  Do you know anything about the subject -- such as why it exists, who it benefits, history, etc??

You sound like a very shallow person looking at it solely from a 'this screws me over' perspective.  I am sure you will be one that walks into a classroom, looks at the minority students and assumes they only got in because of AA.

Check out this thread, do a little outside homework and grow up.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,64541.msg0.html#new

LawJedi

• I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »
You may not realize it, but even though you're "poor" you are still a victim and a benefactor of white privelage. You (and I) have no idea what its like to be a different color, and that's what it boils down to.