Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For individuals who scored a 160+  (Read 3722 times)

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: For individuals who scored a 160+
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
I studied at varying levels of intensity for a year. My first diagnostic, I scored a 159. On test day: 175. My advice: make it a priority to study and take your time. Especially any of you freshmen and sophmores. Start studying now. Learn to not mind studying for the LSAT. Do it once a month for three years for all I care, I bet you will improve hugely. Perhaps I'm not as smart as some people I know who score a 170 on their second try and then never study again, but the adcomms are likely to disagree.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »
I've known quite a few 30+ freshmen and sophmores. I was 24 my second time as a sophmore. Am I missing the meaning of non-traditional or could there not be froshs and sophmores on this board?

Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 09:25:41 AM »
I was scoring 167, the AC died during a heat wave. I got a 161, still good, but not what i wanted....

that is a "serious bummer" :(
It would be interesting to know how others in that testing room did compared to their practice tests.

I got a 154 on my diagnostic.  I took the Kaplan course, and by the end, I was testing consistently in the 165-167 range; I even got a 171 on one practice test that had a very forgiving scale.  Test day I was confident and I thought I did great.  I was fairly stunned to see I got a 161.  When I reviewed my test I saw that I blew an entire logic game (simple game, but I missed a rule or something) and that cost me 5-6 points. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
I started in the mid-high 150's and finished at a 166 - my practice average exactly. I took the standard summer Testmaster's course without annoying myself with the homework. Instead, I used that time for as many old exams released by LSAT as my work schedule would allow (approx. 20 full tests under timed conditions with a random experimental I threw in from another test).

A word of advice: take as many of the most recent tests (2004 and later) as possible, and directly before the exam. The RC/LR difficulty has increased while the LG has gone down. The scales have also been on the tougher side recently. Games was my worst section by far, but I scored a perfect on the actual exam.

huilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=huilian
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »
I studied off and on for a few months. I didn't take a course, but I did buy the LSAT 180 book published by Kaplan. It was very helpful. I also took lots of practice tests. Even if I only practiced on one section in a day, I always timed it and then went back and studied my mistakes until I understood why I had made the mistake. My favorite study places were Starbucks and the Borders Bookstore cafe. Basically, the cost of my 167 came down to $20 for the book and many chai lattes. I wasn't nervous on test day at all; it was just like taking another practice test. Taking the test in a pretty music hall with nice high ceilings and only a few other test takers didn't hurt either, I suppose.  ::)

I fully agree, Kaplan's LSAT 180 book was my only prep investment and even though I didn't do the whole book and only "studied off and on for a few months", mostly on the train to work, I did great.  I didn't worry about timing myself though, and on one of the sections on the actual test I didn't finish and didn't think to guess, so I missed 3 questions that way.  Out of a total of 10 wrong.  To say I was pissed at myself would be an understatement. :-[

I think the best prep tactic (other than a professional course, perhaps) is to do the hardest questions you can get ahold of - taking time to understand the ones you get wrong - and then, as the real test approaches, start working on your times. 

thorc954

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
Just some advice... Dont get yourself sick worrying about the exam. Its only a test and if you dont do well you can always transfer up schools. I thought my score would determine the rest of my life. I studied to the point that my advisor threatened me if I continued. I ended up having my score suffer significantly. I then took a week off and spent it at the beach without thoughts of the lsat. After this, my score improved remarkably. I mean,  I had extenuating circumstances test day, but the prep score improved a lot. 

Relax, and whatever you do, dont touch a book the week before the exam.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
I disagree thorc. While the testtaker definintely needs to be relaxed when they take the test, it depends on the person how they go about doing that. I was also an obsessive practicer, taking a full test everyday for a while, and I studied for a full year.

On the morning of the test, I did a practice logic game just to be warmed up. I don't know if it helped or not, but I perfected the games section, so it doesn't seem to have hurt me. I also relaxed me a bit, because it was part of my daily routine, practicing for the LSAT and it helped me stay confident, knowing that I was well-prepared.

I think the best advice is to be ready, and know that you are ready. Whatever score that means for you, however that is accomplished, just walk into the place on test day knowing that you are going to do the best you can. Relaxing is part of that, but so is rigorous preparation.

Sinners:

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »
I scored in the same range on my practice tests and the real thing, even though I did a few months of prep.  I think there is a ceiling at 170, beyond which it is tough to break through.  I was pre-scoring from 172-165 and my actual was right in that range.

My advice is to study your hardest until you hit the upper 160's and after that do one practice a week to stay sharp but don't kill yourself.  At 169 you will have diminishing returns.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »
I scored in the same range on my practice tests and the real thing, even though I did a few months of prep.  I think there is a ceiling at 170, beyond which it is tough to break through.  I was pre-scoring from 172-165 and my actual was right in that range.

My advice is to study your hardest until you hit the upper 160's and after that do one practice a week to stay sharp but don't kill yourself.  At 169 you will have diminishing returns.

Again, to some extent, I disagree. I plateaued in my practice tests at 168, I had a really hard time getting past it. At some point, I think I did 5 practice tests in a row and got the same 168 each time, but I upped my practice time, and went out and got some new study books. After a few more months (I studied for a year), I broke the barrier, the highest practice test I got was 178, I started averaging around 174, and on the real thing got a 175. Those extra 7 points were hard earned, but will likely be the difference between acceptance and rejection at quite a few schools.

Sinners:

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 02:33:35 PM »
After a few more months (I studied for a year), I broke the barrier, the highest practice test I got was 178, I started averaging around 174, and on the real thing got a 175. Those extra 7 points were hard earned, but will likely be the difference between acceptance and rejection at quite a few schools.

Nice job!  Not only will that make the difference in acceptance, it'll make a huge difference with money at some schools.  It could be argued that this is not fair, but it sure seems to be true.

Thanks. And all the more for the argument that you should squeeze out every last point you can, despite whatever perceived diminishing returns there are.

Sinners: