Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For individuals who scored a 160+  (Read 3835 times)

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
For individuals who scored a 160+
« on: July 08, 2006, 08:37:11 AM »
How long did you prepare or study for the LSAT?
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: For individuals who scored a 160+
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:50:41 AM »
I took three or four timed tests.  My scores were consistently in a range I was pleased with, so I left it at that.  Maybe I could have pumped my score up higher with more preparation, but I'm very happy with the way it's all worked out.   
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
2 months of taking practice tests and focusing on my mistakes
...man, you was who you was before you got here

smiley

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
I took almost all the available past LSATs (used the 3 books - 10 Actual, Next 10, 10 More - and then ordered the most recent tests from LSAC) over a 2 month period leading up to the actual test. I took the most recent tests closest to the actual LSAT because the test has changed and morphed a little bit since the mid-1990s when some of the early tests are from. I also used the PowerScore logical reasoning bible, but I don't think it helped that much. I was planning on taking the Princeton Review, but it was so much $$ and I was scoring where I wanted to on practice tests. In hindsight, it might've been better to actually take the course, since I scored a few points lower on test day than to where I had been practice testing. But, as usual I agree with Jolie, I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.

Stacie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
I took the LSAC's sample and got a 154. Every section was decent except for (no surprises) games. I'd have had a 162 if I'd scored my other-section average on games.

At the time, though, I wasn't in "law school is my life-long dreeeeeam" mode, so I didn't curl up in the fetal position or call a prep class.

I figured out it wasn't that games were that confusing -- it's just I didn't know how they worked. I figured I could teach myself that, so I did.

I bought a book. I don't remember which one. I think it was in the middle of the pack, price wise. And I did all of their sample games and practice test. I taught myself how the games worked. I began this in August for the October 1 administration. I did maybe 30 minutes at a shot, three to five times a week, usually as my SO was getting his toddler to bed. I practiced some of the reasoning and reading question towards the end. I was averaging two or three wrong per games section -- and I'd gotten a few perfect scores, too.

I should add: I am a fast reader and I prefer independent study to group things, especially when there's not much to discuss. If I'd been a slow reader or a group learner, I'd have done the class.

I never took a timed, full practice test (as time was never a problem), including my diagnostic. I was averaging in the 162-165 range when you averaged my individual sections and added them up into full tests.

On the actual test, I got a 167, which was better than that average. Total spent on prep: Maybe $50 and less than three hours a week. Total improvement: 13 points, enough to make the difference between a likely waitlist and a full scholarship at my local school.
0L, Marquette University Law School

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
I started out taking the test off of LSAC's site. After that, I ordered the Superprep and the latest two compilation of 10 exams, and started working my way through them. I also bought the Powerscore Bibles. It took about 4 months -- but really I think it was about 3 months all told, because I took most of one month off and had rescheduled the exam once.

Just a lot of self-study really, and reviewing of my mistakes.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

thorc954

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »
7 months prepping, took kaplan course, hated it and saw no results.  read LSAT for dummies, loved it. brought up my score.  My advice, buy a book to teach you the diargrams for the logic games, maybe logic game bible?  this was the only thing i got out of kaplan... then, just take lots of practice.  Make sure you drive to the test site the day before and find the classroom.  Also, talk to someone who took it before for advice before the day of. It calms your nerves and they can give you a run through of the 6 hour process.  Most importantly, be ready for anything.  I was scoring 167, the AC died during a heat wave. I got a 161, still good, but not what i wanted....

good luck, if you want any info about the test day, send a message.
chris

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
I was scoring 167, the AC died during a heat wave. I got a 161, still good, but not what i wanted....

that is a "serious bummer" :(
It would be interesting to know how others in that testing room did compared to their practice tests.

I went through a few commercial test prep books, including that goofy professor one (good for comic relief because sometimes it was just so corny)
I found that learning multiple strategies for the logic games helped me develop my own diagramming strategy. 
I did as many timed practice tests (from actual tests) as I could as early in the morning as I could, and then went back and made sure I understood why I got wrong what I got wrong.

thorc954

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:42:28 PM »
I was scoring 167, the AC died during a heat wave. I got a 161, still good, but not what i wanted....

that is a "serious bummer" :(
It would be interesting to know how others in that testing room did compared to their practice tests.

I know, definitely a bummer, but I guess you kinda have to expect stuff like that to happen.  I was tempted to cancel, but I couldnt put myself through the torture of that exam again.  I figure, I may have had a shot at G-Town with the 167, but I got into GW with a 161.  No great loss I guess.  Ive found from my own experience and those of others that you really dont know what schools are looking for.  Im a non urm and i snuck in with not so great schools.  Thank God I applied to so many reaches.

jewfro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:49 PM »
I studied off and on for a few months. I didn't take a course, but I did buy the LSAT 180 book published by Kaplan. It was very helpful. I also took lots of practice tests. Even if I only practiced on one section in a day, I always timed it and then went back and studied my mistakes until I understood why I had made the mistake. My favorite study places were Starbucks and the Borders Bookstore cafe. Basically, the cost of my 167 came down to $20 for the book and many chai lattes. I wasn't nervous on test day at all; it was just like taking another practice test. Taking the test in a pretty music hall with nice high ceilings and only a few other test takers didn't hurt either, I suppose.  ::)