Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: unsolicited diversity statements??  (Read 305 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
unsolicited diversity statements??
« on: July 07, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
For schools that only ask for one statement on their application (i.e., Columbia), are people planning on submitting just a personal statement or send in an additional diversity statement as well?  On LSN, it looks like lots of applicants sent diversity statements to schools whether or not they asked for it on the application.  Will those get read?  Or should I just stick to one single PS?

Thanks in advance!
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

marbles

• View Profile
Re: unsolicited diversity statements??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 05:13:49 PM »
I say go ahead and submit it.  It never hurts to supplement your application with additional information (well, useful information).  At worst the admissions committee may ignore it.  I doubt that they'd penalize you (conjecture here).  In the end, you want to present yourself in the most favorable light.  If that requires an additional diversity statement, then so be it.  Be proactive, keep the statement short and interesting, and take the chance.  I did it last cycle with no adverse effects (well, none that I can think of).  You'll be fine!

Chandler Bing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:22:10 AM »
I recommend calling up admissions offices and asking. Don't identify yourself if you don't want, just say "Hey, I'm applying this next cycle. I know you don't ask for one, but if I were to send in a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, how would that reflect on my file/application?"

I did this and got several staunch, "don't even bother"s and even an insinuation that it would be a strike against my application.

And as a blanket statment, most people on this board are in the same position as you are in terms of reading the minds of LSAC and the adcomms...meaning we can't. If you have a question like that -- basically "what should I send the adcomms" -- call and ask them. They are used to taking questions. They know what they want come application time, and if they don't want 4 extra pieces of paper to sift through, they will tell you. It's as simple as that. While the criteria for getting in and the LSAT scale might be mysteries, the completion of applications is not a dark, clouded process on which we have to speculate.
Monica (attending): Northwestern!
Rachel/Phoebe (still in the running): Northwestern $$, Chicago $
Janice(withdrawn): SLU, Loyola Chicago, Chicago-Kent, Depaul, UIUC, Duke, WUSTL

Cycle's over!

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »
For schools that only ask for one statement on their application (i.e., Columbia), are people planning on submitting just a personal statement or send in an additional diversity statement as well?  On LSN, it looks like lots of applicants sent diversity statements to schools whether or not they asked for it on the application.  Will those get read?  Or should I just stick to one single PS?

Thanks in advance!

I did! And if you feel that you can add diversity to the class, I recommend you prepare one as well. Just remember to be succinct -- 3/4 to 1 page, double spaced.
Who's your Daddy now?