Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gifts for recommenders  (Read 3743 times)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Gifts for recommenders
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
I just did a thank you note for one of my recommenders and SHE just sent ME a gift.  Kind of as a congrats on law school gift!  It is a book published by the American Bar Association's litigation section and is full of tips on how to be great lawyer.  How awesome is that?   ;D
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:55:26 PM »
I offered my recommenders a nice Hallmark card and bookstore gift cards. One recommender's face lit up. The other recommender rejected the bookstore gift card saying "I don't accept cash". I told him it was a gift card, not cash, but he still refused it. At least he did accept the Hallmark card though and now I have a $20 gift card left for myself.

tp83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:46:18 AM »
How much is considered appropriate to spend on the gifts?

Also do you guys wait until you have heard from the schools you applied to before sending the gifts or do you send them right after you know they have finished your LOR?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 09:41:58 AM »

Also do you guys wait until you have heard from the schools you applied to before sending the gifts or do you send them right after you know they have finished your LOR?

I sent my recommenders an email thanking them when the LORs were sent in. I'm keeping them posted on my progress with apps and what schools I am applying to, and I'll follow up with a gift once I have the final decision in hand. I am also very close to all of my recommenders, so I consider them not only mentors and supervisors, but also friends. For me, it is not so formal.

I think price depends on your personal budget. If you plan to give a thank you gift, I think $10-$25 is perfectly appropriate for a college student or recent grad. Probably $20-$50 for someone who has been out of school for awhile.

Vanderbilt 2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »

I sent my recommenders an email thanking them when the LORs were sent in. I'm keeping them posted on my progress with apps and what schools I am applying to, and I'll follow up with a gift once I have the final decision in hand. I am also very close to all of my recommenders, so I consider them not only mentors and supervisors, but also friends. For me, it is not so formal.

I think price depends on your personal budget. If you plan to give a thank you gift, I think $10-$25 is perfectly appropriate for a college student or recent grad. Probably $20-$50 for someone who has been out of school for awhile.

I agree with everythng above, except I will be sending the gift and a thank you card when LSAC receives the letters.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

pipster215

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »
I think maybe I wrote this in another thread on this topic, but I got my recommenders nice pens and had them professioanlly wrapped so they looked pretty. They all seemed to really like the pens. I spent like $25 each.
UVA '10!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
Godiva. Chocolate.

But if you're seriously broke, a sincere handwritten note will mean more to them than what you bought.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
I sent bottles of Patron to my recommenders... they were quite pleased.

Patron = prestijious

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »
I've had to ask for plenty of letters in the past and I never thought to give anything more than a sincere letter of thanks and followups on what happened in my future. It may be that I primarily have asked for letters from faculty, who for the most part consider it part of their job. It may be different if you are away from school, but when I think of my relationships to professors I would guess that getting a bottle of wine from a poor college student might be a bit mutually embarassing. They do get upset if you don't tell them where you got in / how things worked out.

I have tried taking them out for coffee afterward, but they usually insisted on paying.

With this, I completely agree. As long as you fall into the undergrad - 5 years out range. The professors I've spoken with about this (or who have spoken out about it) have all said some variant on the above. Updates = expected. Hallmarks = appreciated. Anything else = inappropriate . (YMMV)

I should add, that I'm speaking in the context of LOR thank yous -- there seems to be different rules for student-professor gifts in other circumstances (e.g. thesis advisor, mentor, etc.)

Later in life, in other 'thank you' contexts, it's a different story. (And personally, even in terms of an academic context, I'm planning on thanking some of my professors -- recommenders or otherwise -- in a big way with significant departmental and research-grant donations over the years. But not now, and not because of LORs.)

This is, obviously, my own position. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes...

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 08:56:08 PM »
Glad to find this thread again.  I need some gift ideas, but I'm still hunting for the perfect one!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?