Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gifts for recommenders  (Read 3755 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Gifts for recommenders
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »
Other than a thank you note and the general updates, what sort of gift do you recommend giving to a recommender? Thanks! All of my LORs came from men between the ages of 55-65.
Vanderbilt 2010

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
Re: Gifts for recommenders
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:04:28 PM »
I was going to go with giftcards when the letters were processed and then an update letter with some small food (probebally chocolate) around late January/early February when I have a solid idea of how the cycle went for me.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »
This is a good topic, I was thinking of buying a nice bottle of patron for my reccomenders, but am not sure if alcohol is appropriate

fufukid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »
Not to just combine what everyone just wrote, but I've had some success with wine-filled chocolates.  They're sort of different and interesting and everyone said they were delicious.  That way it's alcohol, but not really.  Anyway, here's a link...http://www.uniquelycal.com/sweets_books/wine_choc.htm.  I got in where I wanted, so I picked champagne to "celebrate."  You know, writing this sounds so hokey...when I sent them it seemed much cooler. 

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »
it's only inappropriate if you give the gift before they write the letter  :D

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
it's only inappropriate if you give the gift before they write the letter  :D

Yes. Then it's called a bribe!  ;)
Vanderbilt 2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »
Since I'm here in Bermuda, I'm going to send my recommenders a mini rum cake.  Got to rock the 'exotic' vibe!  :D
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:34:35 AM »
That's awesome! I'm still pondering what to get my recommenders... I think that since three are colleagues, I may take them to lunch and surprise them with a small gift having to do with the region where I will be going to school. (Thanks for the inspiration MoniLi!) Although, knowing these guys, they'll insist on picking up the tab... hmmm....

My other recommender is a former professor. I fondly recall spending hours with him and fellow students discussing current events in his office. He loves gourmet jelly beans, and always had a special dish set out with a special spoon to help yourself. So I may get him a nice basket of assorted jelly beans and a dispenser or something. Lord knows I ate enough of them over the years, both as a student and as an alum!
Vanderbilt 2010

justmakingmyway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
I'd definitely go with alcohol. I had to get two gifts for recommendations that were written for a scholarship and gave bottles of wine. Worked out well and I got the scholarship.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »
I figured the bribe thing out....I asked one of my LS recommenders  for a recommendation last spring for a summer program. after i got into that, i gave him a nice gift. now he knows to expect something depending on how i do in law apps.

=DD
DeVry Tech '10