Law School Discussion

Marriage? Possible PS Topics...

dcarealsattaker

• "The Lidgebreaker"
    • View Profile
Marriage? Possible PS Topics...
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:22:26 PM »
Anyone out there using their marriage, engagement, long-term relationship as a backdrop for their PS? (i.e. how my relationship with my sig. other changed my life in some way).  I'm guessing this would mostly apply to folks who have been out of school for a few years.

In my case, I'm getting married about a month before law school would begin to a woman I met my senior year of college (four years ago now).  She helped me tremendously in overcoming a pretty serious depression and I'm a much better person because of her influence.  I'm likely going to put a concise treatment of the depression in an addendum explaining my low GPA, so I'm somewhat hesitant to also address it in the PS.  That said, she has had a HUGE impact on my life, and illustrates an aspect of my personal growth that my resume won't cover.  Any thoughts?

Other possible PS topics I'm considering:
- My experience as a Congressional staffer and how that's led me to consider law school (punched up with anecdotes that show the depth of my involvement on several pieces of legislation).

- My role as the first in my family to attend college, escape the Midwest, and make good elsewhere, despite my family's misgivings.

Vick

• View Profile
Re: Marriage? Possible PS Topics...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:44 PM »
I think the marriage experience could be used as long as it applies to you and the qualities you've gained from it.  Just make sure not to talk too much about her. 

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
Anna Ivey's book has a sample PS about a marriage.  Take a look at it, it might be helpful...

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:53:39 AM »
Anna Ivey's book has a sample PS about a marriage.  Take a look at it, it might be helpful...

Are there different editions?  Because I have the Ivey guide and the one I have doesn't have any PS about marriage...

dcarealsattaker

• "The Lidgebreaker"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Just wanted to be sure I wasn't walking into a topic that should be avoided at all costs!  I need my PS to be extremely solid since I'm a "splitter."  Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 10:50:16 AM »
Isn't there one that starts with "my marriage almost ended over the dirty dishes" or something like that?  Yeesh, it's been too long since I read those books--I swear it's in ONE of them--although that is way less helpful.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 11:29:18 AM »
Isn't there one that starts with "my marriage almost ended over the dirty dishes" or something like that?  Yeesh, it's been too long since I read those books--I swear it's in ONE of them--although that is way less helpful.

Lol, no she mentions that one of the best ones she read starts that way, but that all she says.  For all we know that ps barely talks about marriage and just uses that to lure you in.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »
Sounds like a good topic.  I'd be interested in reading it. :)

I suppose the challenge lies in portraying your significant other without exposing overly passionate emotions.  you lovebirds. :-*

Emilia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 11:06:14 AM »
The first in family to attend college, despite family's misgiving, sounds like a potentially very powerful PS -- especially in that you're on your way to be the first in your family to get a professional degree as well.

Maybe you could tie in something about this with your marriage PS?