Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many women would put their career's before their family i.e. family planning, marriage,children

Career first (I'm on a mission all else secondary)
 4 (13.8%)
Equal footing I plan on having a balance between my career and family
 17 (58.6%)
Family first (I've always dreamed of being a housewife)
 2 (6.9%)
Results
 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: For the ladies  (Read 3751 times)

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
For the ladies
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »
I spoke to a friend of mine who recently graduated from  northeastern she is currently studying for the ny/nj bar. Interestingly enough she said her real goal is to be a housewife. Just wondering how many women feel the same.
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: For the ladies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
I spoke to a friend of mine who recently graduated from  northeastern she is currently studying for the ny/nj bar. Interestingly enough she said her real goal is to be a housewife. Just wondering how many women feel the same.

can u add a view choice for those that wish to see the results?

you can call it dogs, dudes, helmets, love machies, etc...  ;D
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »

can u add a view choice for those that wish to see the results?

you can call it dogs, dudes, helmets, love machies,
etc...  ;D

K...done
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:28:43 PM »
I'm a career woman. I love kids but I can't eat a whole one, and I would feel super guilty about not being able to be with my children in the first years of their lives. I also don't want to be married. That stuff has never been my cup of tea.

I also think that too many women buy into the whole Superwoman myth and think that they can have kick ass careers and be super involved parents. It's not true for men or women...you can either have an extremely demanding career or have lots of time for your family. There are only so many hours in the day. You can be a working mother, as in have kids and have a job but you can't climb the ladder in a time intensive profession (medicine, banking, law) and have 4 hours a day to spend with your child. I know people are about to try and argue that you can though  ::)
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:35:57 PM »
Eh...I'm definitely not housewife material.  Honestly, I think my intelligence would be wasted by me staying home all the damn time.  Aside from that, I wouldn't be at my peak if I had to stay with my kids 24/7.  That being said, I don't have the goal of becoming a partner at some top firm.  Definitely looking at options that would allow me to have a good QOL, and thus spend time with my kids/husband or whatever.
Columbia 3L

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »

I swear this girl in my class just told me the same thing. 

Pardon my saying so, but wouldn't it have been easier to become a housewife $130k ago without 3 years of lawschool?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »

Pardon my saying so, but wouldn't it have been easier to become a housewife $130k ago without 3 years of lawschool?

true...but some women want to go to ls to get the JD/Mrs joint degree  :D
Columbia 3L

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:44:15 PM »

Yea, but she wants to marry the right kinda guy  ::) That said, I would be spending this money on plastic surgery and hair/clothes.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:01:20 AM »
I thought this thread was gonna be some nekkid pictures of that hot new poster, Jaz or whatever. Sucks.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 02:19:38 AM »
I thought this thread was gonna be some nekkid pictures of that hot new poster, Jaz or whatever. Sucks.

;D ;D :D :D
Columbia 3L