Law School Discussion

i'm screwed (?)

i'm screwed (?)
« on: May 27, 2006, 10:35:13 PM »
i went to two colleges - the first one i was at for a year and a half, left with a 3.0. Now, i've been at college 2 for 2+ years and have pulled straight A's, and am about to graduate with a 3.9. But.. when you calculate in the crappy grades I got the first time around I end up with a 3.5 or something. will toby stock from HLS break my heart?

SCgrad

Re: i'm screwed (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »
Yes.

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:18:48 AM »
Write an addendum. If possible focus on (1) obviously increased grades and to a lesser degree (2) why.  Actually, I would write a 1 page addendum with a brief discussion of  1 and 2 above but then add some more PS-ish stuff. You'll have to be careful you don't sound like you're doing what your doing (i.e. taking advantage of the situation to extend your PS and tell the school more great things about yours truly).

Momo09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »
why explain at all and keep focus on the crappy year you had?  Just make your application sound positive and pointing out the positive trends, how you matured, is capable of doing A level work.  Honestly, I think whining about poor past performance is the last thing you want to do. 

I took Algebra at a JC as a Freshman in HS. Didn't go and didn't think to drop the class.  years later, I was stupid enough to take English Comp and Lit at the same JC during Summers, now every application I fill out will have a big F (5 semester units worth) averaged in.  Do you think I bother to explain that F on my apps?  Did that F prevent me from getting into Law School?  I think it was obvious to anyone reading my app that a class taken when I was 15 should have been a gross error.

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:13:57 PM »
Yes, don't waste the money on the application. My GPA was similarly crucified by LSDAS (way worse than yours, actually... way... way... WAAAAYYYYY worse). There are still plenty of great schools that will welcome you.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
Don't even waste your money on HLS and other schools that won't accept applicants with a 3.5. Try for schools that have a history of accepting people with GPAs in your range.

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:23:19 PM »
I kind of agree but not totally.  There is certainly no harm in trying if it's free.  Ask for a waiver.  If you get one, give it a shot.  If you don't, you still might as well chase your dream (if it is a dream) unless that $87 will deprive you of anything significant.  If I really wanted something but all the odds were stacked against me and all I risked was a little money and pride, you'd better believe I would give it my all. Sure, Harvard is an incredibly rich financial insttitution and it might be galling to contribute to their coffers without reciprocating contributions being made to your intellectual advancement, but what the hell. 

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »
I agree.  $87 is a lot of money but I think it's definitely worth it if the alternative is spending the rest of your life wondering "What if?"  Harvard accepts people with 3.5s.  Not very many, but they do accept them.  Also, your post doesn't address your LSAT score, your work experience / extracurriculars, your writing abilities (essays), your LORs, or your URM-status.  Those are all factors that could make a big difference, especially when combined.