Law School Discussion

Any advice for a college senior?

Any advice for a college senior?
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:14:43 PM »
I am a 22 year old college senior.  My LSAT score was 153 and my UGPA is 3.5.  So far I have been accepted at Duquesne, Ohio Northern, Roger Williams, and New England School of Law.  I have been wait-listed at Hofstra and Valparaiso.  I have applied to but not yet heard from Syracuse, Marquette, Notre Dame, Widener, Quinnipiac, and DePaul.  Ohio Northern has offered a half-tuition scholarship, and RWU has offered 1/4 tuition scholarship.  I would have to say that right now I am leaning towards Duquesne (despite not getting any financial assistance) because it is the only "tier 3" school that I have been accepted to.  I have several questions:

1. What are the odds that I will be accepted at any of the schools that I get wait-listed at?

2. I have heard that Duquesne had some problems with its ABA accredidation.  Is this true, and, if so, what was/were the problem(s)?

3. Marquette is my top choice because of its sports law program.  I have a significant athletic background.  What are the odds of admission to this school for me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Any advice for a college senior?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:04:25 PM »
My husband went to Ohio Northern.  He was wait listed at Indiana Bloomington.

ONU was a nice - very small school so there is a lot of personal attention there, something you won't find at other larger schools. Many of his instructors even knew me by name is passing, which was kind of neat.

Ada, the community where ONU is, is a very nice little Midwestern town.  I actually was a police dispatcher for the local police department while my husband attended school there.  Population is 3000 during summer, 6000+ when school's in. 

Scholarships are handed out pretty readily there, because they are not a state school (I know, it's grad school, that doesn't matter), but I think that it does, because they are a private undergradudate school.  Scholarships are not fixed - do well and you get upped as my husband did each year he was there.

Great opportunities for internship/externship.  Andy did a summer externship with a State Supreme Court Justice in Columbus, quite unexpected from such a small law school.  I think it's quite interesting that ONU also (at the time) had the only moot courtroom in Ohio large enough to hold all of the Ohio Supreme Court sitting justices and court was occasionally called in Ada. 

I'm rambling on, trying to give as much info about ONU as I can.  Let me know if there is anything more I can tell you.

Karen W.

bobfett33

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »
I think you owe it to yourself to wait a year and retake the LSAT. 

The law school you attend will be a decision that will affect your job prospects for the rest of your life.  I'm sure you can get higher than 153 with concerted study!  And, earning some $$ for a year will really help to make some bigger loan payments at first, which will significantly lower your interest, and you'll end up paying THOUSANDS less than you would otherwise.  Plus, with the higher LSAT score, you'll probably get more scholarship $$.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 07:33:52 PM »
rpplvc13:

I think that your LSAT score is fine!  If you want to go now, go for it!  Don't wait a year unless you are uncertain about law school in general.  Have fun!