Law School Discussion

jalong

• View Profile
Re: Question about NYU, Columbia
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »
It really depends on where in Jersey City you are talking about. If you are talking about living right off the Hudson, then you are going to pay near-Manhattan prices anyway, although the commute would be pretty painless. If you are talking about living in Greeneville where it is more affordable, your commute to NYU would be a little longer, but still manageable.

I don't really feel like I have to be unbiased in my endorsement of living in Brooklyn, however I don't think that I disparaged living in any of the other boroughs or New Jersey. If someone else has an experience living in the other boroughs, by all means, chime in, but like I said before, I don't speak for everybody, I'm just sharing my experience. I can't represent all sides of the discussion.

However, commuting to New York from almost anywhere in Staten Island is definintely no fun, and for Columbia, entirely not worth the effort. And Queens is a mixed bag. The western side of Queens would be a fine commute, but much of Queens is far from Manhattan and much more suburban than one who was orginally thinking about living in the village might be looking for.

Actually, at Columbia, one might find that the Bronx is a better alternative. I can't speak to living in the Bronx however, since I never have. I have lived in Brooklyn, however, and I have lived in Jersey City.

Monkeyface, why are you giving me crap when I'm trying to help somebody who is asking about living in New York. If you can't offer any first-hand knowledge, what exactly is your purpose? Are you just trying to be argumentative? Do you have something positive to contribute to this conversation yet?

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 10:59:22 AM »
If you're going to NYU, then I think Brooklyn probably is a better bet for housing, unless you've got the money to throw around.  However, I'd probably advise against trying to find a place on your own until you're familiar with the city.  Staten Island is doable but not fun.  Jersey City and Hoboken are also doable by PATH train.  They'll probably be just as expensive but you'll get more space in my opinion.

Of course you could just go to Columbia, in which case you could get much cheaper housing that's walking distance from the school.  And you'd be at a better school to boot.  (And yes I am taunting Alec.  ;) )

dran

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »
Do yourself a favor, if you get into either NYU or Columbia don't even look on Staten Island. I live there now, and with the 1L workload and having classes every single weekday, it won't be worth it. It's more affordable but you'll lose way too much valuable time.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »
I spent about 12 years living in Brooklyn, and although it is more affordable than Manhattan, and is more "intimate," or whatever, nothing compares to living in Manhattan in your 20s.  If you are 40, have a family, and want something more suburban, and actually be able to afford living space for your kids Brooklyn/Queens might be a better bet.  If however, you are unattached, and want to experience the GREATEST city in the world, there is only one borough worth living in.

Also the commute from Jersey is annoying IMO, unless you live right by the PATH, which unlike the MTA only has like 10 stops TOTAL.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 01:11:47 PM »
I spent about 12 years living in Brooklyn, and although it is more affordable than Manhattan, and is more "intimate," or whatever, nothing compares to living in Manhattan in your 20s.  If you are 40, have a family, and want something more suburban, and actually be able to afford living space for your kids Brooklyn/Queens might be a better bet.  If however, you are unattached, and want to experience the GREATEST city in the world, there is only one borough worth living in.

Also the commute from Jersey is annoying IMO, unless you live right by the PATH, which unlike the MTA only has like 10 stops TOTAL.

Eh, the dude's already engaged, so the best part of living in the village--barhopping and picking up--will be closed to him anyway.  I second Brooklyn... you will also have an easier time finding pet-friendly places there.  Anyway, it's not a like it's a uniform mass of land... if you want to be near the young and funky, you're in the 'burg or near Smith St, if you want laidback brunches and to see what children look like, Park Slope, if you want convenience and high rent (but awesome views of Manhattan), Brooklyn Heights.

You can also do the Upper West Side if you're at Columbia; there are still some relatively affordable places left.

Be prepared for the hefty broker's fee, though.

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »

Eh, the dude's already engaged, so the best part of living in the village--barhopping and picking up--will be closed to him anyway.  I second Brooklyn... you will also have an easier time finding pet-friendly places there.  Anyway, it's not a like it's a uniform mass of land... if you want to be near the young and funky, you're in the 'burg or near Smith St, if you want laidback brunches and to see what children look like, Park Slope, if you want convenience and high rent (but awesome views of Manhattan), Brooklyn Heights.

You can also do the Upper West Side if you're at Columbia; there are still some relatively affordable places left.

Be prepared for the hefty broker's fee, though.

I agree. All biases aside, it is tough to argue that Brooklyn is "suburban". If Brooklyn was its own city, it would be the 4th largest by population in the country. By size it would fare well too I'm sure. There are definitely suburban parts to it (not so in Manhattan) but most of Brooklyn is quite urban, there is plenty of nightlife, plenty of culture, plenty of New York in it. And if Manhattan has something that Brooklyn doesn't, then just get on the train and go there.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55:13 PM »
If you take the time to look, and are able to look at places before you sign a lease, its really not that hard to find a place in ny. I've lived in two different apartments that I found myself in the nyu area, and i have a bunch of friends who've found their own as well.

And while it may seem expensive, its doable if you get lucky. I'm certainly not in a strong position financially, but I found a place to share with my friends where I had my own room and a balcony in a very nice apt in the west village for 900/month. If you're willing to live more downtown, there are some very nice places/lofts in the lower soho or financial district. Or, if you're going to columbia, thats doable as well. two of my friends just got a place together, each have their own room, bathroom, theres a nice kitchen and a good size common room at 125/broadway. Nice area, subway RIGHT there, big supermarket, paying 800/mo each.

Good luck with your search, i just had to find a sublet in dc without actually coming here, so i know how frustrating it can be...

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 11:16:27 PM »
Just for the record, there IS Columbia student housing that allows animals. A building on 112th. Expensive though, more than most of the law student housing. You'll need to request it on your housing application.

It shouldn't be too hard to find reasonable housing in Harlem (which is pretty safe nowadays) if you want something cheaper with pets.

Of course, I'm in Columbia housing now that doesn't "allow" pets, but I know of at least two dogs that live in the building...

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Finding off campus housing in Manhattan can be hard, but it really depends on where we are talking about. Do you want to live walking distance from NYU? If so, I hope you have a rich uncle or something. But beyond the $$$, why? The village might seem cool if you have been to nyc once or twice, but any real new yorker will tell you that the village is played out. It is mostly a tourist trap. You could live in walking distance of Columbia for much less money and actually live somewhere the resembles a neighborhood. Even better question, why must you live in Manhattan?

Allow me to introduce you to the most wonderful place in the world: Brooklyn. Not only could you likely afford to live in Brooklyn, you might actually like it. Now, I'm not saying it is cheap, cause it's not. Depending on where you are from, even a BK studio will be more than you are used to spending. But in Brooklyn you will get an awesome neighborhood, cheaper rent, and depending on where in Brooklyn, your commute to school would not be that big of a deal, if nothing else, the train ride will give you an extra 30 minutes to read your assignments.

I'm wondering if maybe we need to have locational threads so that people who actually know a given town can guide people about it, otherwise its just the blind leading the blind. Then again, there seems to be a lot of that going on around here, perhaps that is the appeal of LSD.

That's what people always say, but it's not really true. Apartments in the East Village are as cheap as Brooklyn, unless you want to live in Bed-Stuy, which is a bad idea. Get something on Ave. C and you can walk to NYU.

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 08:58:34 PM »
Finding off campus housing in Manhattan can be hard, but it really depends on where we are talking about. Do you want to live walking distance from NYU? If so, I hope you have a rich uncle or something. But beyond the $$$, why? The village might seem cool if you have been to nyc once or twice, but any real new yorker will tell you that the village is played out. It is mostly a tourist trap. You could live in walking distance of Columbia for much less money and actually live somewhere the resembles a neighborhood. Even better question, why must you live in Manhattan?

Allow me to introduce you to the most wonderful place in the world: Brooklyn. Not only could you likely afford to live in Brooklyn, you might actually like it. Now, I'm not saying it is cheap, cause it's not. Depending on where you are from, even a BK studio will be more than you are used to spending. But in Brooklyn you will get an awesome neighborhood, cheaper rent, and depending on where in Brooklyn, your commute to school would not be that big of a deal, if nothing else, the train ride will give you an extra 30 minutes to read your assignments.

I'm wondering if maybe we need to have locational threads so that people who actually know a given town can guide people about it, otherwise its just the blind leading the blind. Then again, there seems to be a lot of that going on around here, perhaps that is the appeal of LSD.

That's what people always say, but it's not really true. Apartments in the East Village are as cheap as Brooklyn, unless you want to live in Bed-Stuy, which is a bad idea. Get something on Ave. C and you can walk to NYU.

that's a longish walk with a full load of books.  NYU law is over by 6th avenue.

my walk to school: 5 minutes, door to door.  ;)