Law School Discussion

ipso facto

• Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:40:21 PM »

Re: Question about NYU, Columbia
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:14:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure MOST nyu and columbia law students live off campus.  NYC is a hard rental market to get used to, but if you've got a good shot at nyu and columbia, I'm sure you'll figure it out.  ;)

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:00:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure MOST nyu and columbia law students live off campus.  NYC is a hard rental market to get used to, but if you've got a good shot at nyu and columbia, I'm sure you'll figure it out.  ;)

Just a correction, most Columbia students live in university housing, because it is guaranteed by the school. This is not true of NYU. However, it is true that no pets are allowed in Columbia's graduate student apartments.

In terms of finding a decent, affordable apartment in Manhattan, it's not impossible. It's just fantastically harder than any other city in America.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »
Really? Most Columbia students, or most Columbia law students?

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

Both. Fortunately, the law school housing is all aprtments. There isn't any dorm-style housing for the law school (which is important. I have a friend headed to Harvard Law in the fall who's living in a dorm. I couldn't imagine.) So basically Columbia Law School housing is just like living in an apartment except it's a little bit cheaper.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 07:45:09 PM »

Both. Fortunately, the law school housing is all aprtments. There isn't any dorm-style housing for the law school (which is important. I have a friend headed to Harvard Law in the fall who's living in a dorm. I couldn't imagine.) So basically Columbia Law School housing is just like living in an apartment except it's a little bit cheaper.

hm. i'm pretty sure columbia doesn't guarantee housing for all grad students -- my sister will be going there this fall (not for law) and has been waitlisted for student housing. 

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:47:07 AM »
hm. i'm pretty sure columbia doesn't guarantee housing for all grad students -- my sister will be going there this fall (not for law) and has been waitlisted for student housing. 

True. Law students are guaranteed, but not all grad students. My understanding is that many Ph.D students get guaranteed housing as part of their deals, but not too many people get housing if they are getting a master's or something.

Momo09

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 01:50:42 AM »

Just a correction, most Columbia students live in university housing, because it is guaranteed by the school. This is not true of NYU. However, it is true that no pets are allowed in Columbia's graduate student apartments.

In terms of finding a decent, affordable apartment in Manhattan, it's not impossible. It's just fantastically harder than any other city in America.

NYU guarantees their med students housing, not law?

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »
Finding off campus housing in Manhattan can be hard, but it really depends on where we are talking about. Do you want to live walking distance from NYU? If so, I hope you have a rich uncle or something. But beyond the $$$, why? The village might seem cool if you have been to nyc once or twice, but any real new yorker will tell you that the village is played out. It is mostly a tourist trap. You could live in walking distance of Columbia for much less money and actually live somewhere the resembles a neighborhood. Even better question, why must you live in Manhattan?

Allow me to introduce you to the most wonderful place in the world: Brooklyn. Not only could you likely afford to live in Brooklyn, you might actually like it. Now, I'm not saying it is cheap, cause it's not. Depending on where you are from, even a BK studio will be more than you are used to spending. But in Brooklyn you will get an awesome neighborhood, cheaper rent, and depending on where in Brooklyn, your commute to school would not be that big of a deal, if nothing else, the train ride will give you an extra 30 minutes to read your assignments.

I'm wondering if maybe we need to have locational threads so that people who actually know a given town can guide people about it, otherwise its just the blind leading the blind. Then again, there seems to be a lot of that going on around here, perhaps that is the appeal of LSD.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:30:30 AM »
Finding off campus housing in Manhattan can be hard, but it really depends on where we are talking about. Do you want to live walking distance from NYU? If so, I hope you have a rich uncle or something. But beyond the $$$, why? The village might seem cool if you have been to nyc once or twice, but any real new yorker will tell you that the village is played out. It is mostly a tourist trap. You could live in walking distance of Columbia for much less money and actually live somewhere the resembles a neighborhood. Even better question, why must you live in Manhattan?

Allow me to introduce you to the most wonderful place in the world: Brooklyn. Not only could you likely afford to live in Brooklyn, you might actually like it. Now, I'm not saying it is cheap, cause it's not. Depending on where you are from, even a BK studio will be more than you are used to spending. But in Brooklyn you will get an awesome neighborhood, cheaper rent, and depending on where in Brooklyn, your commute to school would not be that big of a deal, if nothing else, the train ride will give you an extra 30 minutes to read your assignments.

I'm wondering if maybe we need to have locational threads so that people who actually know a given town can guide people about it, otherwise its just the blind leading the blind. Then again, there seems to be a lot of that going on around here, perhaps that is the appeal of LSD.

There's 20 million New Yorkers - you speak for all of them?

It's actually more like 9 mil  :P ;)