Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mexican-American or Hispanic  (Read 5119 times)

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mexican-American or Hispanic
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:31:50 AM »
If I am from Mexican decent and was born in the US can I put either mexican-american or hispanic (Since Mexicans are hispanic)? or is hispanic just anything thats not mexican? Is there any difference in benefit for being hispanic over mexican-american or the other way around?

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mexican-American or Hispanic
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:45:47 PM »
anyone?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »
If I am from Mexican decent and was born in the US can I put either mexican-american or hispanic (Since Mexicans are hispanic)? or is hispanic just anything thats not mexican? Is there any difference in benefit for being hispanic over mexican-american or the other way around?

You can mark either.  I don't know which would have more benefit.  You'd probably get more response if you posted this on the minority topic board, not the aa board.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

thorc954

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:48:50 PM »
I honestly don't think there is a difference. I believe Hispanic is broader and includes everything Spanish person(except those from Spain).  I didnt think you were given any options on the paper work except hispanic, white, black, other, etc.  So you may be putting too much emphasis on this question. 

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »
I honestly don't think there is a difference. I believe Hispanic is broader and includes everything Spanish person(except those from Spain).  I didnt think you were given any options on the paper work except hispanic, white, black, other, etc.  So you may be putting too much emphasis on this question. 

There is a big difference between Hispanic and Mexican American.

Hispanic actually includes most peoples from South America AND those from Spain. If you've ever noticed, several standardized tests have a parenthesis next to the "White" designation-"(Not of Hispanic Descent)." Those from Spain are actually considered hispanic, and NOT white. The term hispanic was coined in the 70's for political reasons, and has now become mostly supplanted by the term "Latino".

thorc954

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »

Hispanic actually includes most peoples from South America AND those from Spain. If you've ever noticed, several standardized tests have a parenthesis next to the "White" designation-"(Not of Hispanic Descent)." Those from Spain are actually considered hispanic, and NOT white. The term hispanic was coined in the 70's for political reasons, and has now become mostly supplanted by the term "Latino".

hey, definitely aware of the distinction. I mistakenly referred to my spanish friend as hispanic and she almost had my head for it.  I simply meant that I didnt believe their was much of a difference in the two when it came to admissions purposes. However, I forgot the SES often associated with Mexican Americans and feel like it may be beneficial to consider indicating yourself as mexican instead.

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:20:36 PM »

hey, definitely aware of the distinction. I mistakenly referred to my spanish friend as hispanic and she almost had my head for it.  I simply meant that I didnt believe their was much of a difference in the two when it came to admissions purposes. However, I forgot the SES often associated with Mexican Americans and feel like it may be beneficial to consider indicating yourself as mexican instead.

You should let your friend know that as far as the census and most standardized tests are concerned, she is hispanic. I've met a lot of spanish people who find it belittling to be lumped together with a giant group of non-europeans-but it's the reality of the situation.

spursfaninla

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
Hispanic is, as several have mentioned, a term that THE MAN created to LABEL us, the brown man.  It is not a self-created label, thus it is bad.

Mexican-American is what I, and most, latino's call oursevles if we are decended from Mexico.  Hispanic is broader, allows for all of those of Spanish-speaking heritage.

Plus, if you have to ask you probaby should not get to call yourself either.

odale vato
3.05, 173 (164)
in:USC($$) SW ($$$), Loyola ($)
out:columbia (didn't feel like doing so many dean certs...)
wait list:duke
who knows: ucla, chicago
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=spursfaninla

donwario

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »

I am also of Mexican decent and born in the US. I listed Mexican-American on my apps.