Law School Discussion

Need help.... Should I state?

Need help.... Should I state?
« on: August 16, 2004, 07:46:09 PM »
Hey guys, I have an important question to ask.  I graduated from undergrad in the fall of 2003.  During my freshman year in college, I was charged with something considered academic dishonesty.  Anyways, the T.A sent me a note saying that I had to meet with the head department to talk about what happened.  After we talked, he said that he would get in contact with me again to see what he should do about the situation, since they were very busy. I ended up getting a "F" in the class, but was never contacted later on at all.  I recently got to do a retroactive withdraw, so now my grade on my transcripts fay "W". So, my questiohn is this, should i mention this in my applications to the schools that I will be applying for? or should I just not say anything, because I don't even know if they have it recorded in my school records.I never talked to any disciplinary board.  What do you guys think? 


  • *****
  • 6642
    • View Profile
Re: Need help.... Should I state?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 06:17:59 AM »
Call the school, and talk to who ever you have to to find out if it's on your record.  If you're applying to any school that has a Dean's certificate, they will find out if it's on your record.  The questions on the Dean's cert ask about any academic probation, academic dishonesty (you), and others about your record at the school.

If you find out it's going to show up on a Dean's Cert, you'd best start writing an addendum...


Re: Need help.... Should I state?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:15:34 AM »
Definitely get in touch with someone at the school to find out whether that information is on your disciplinary file. If it is and you do not report that on your law school apps, that would be a very bad situation once the law school finds out through other means (the Dean's Cert. as jacy mentioned).

However, it sounds like it may not have been recorded (I imagine if it had been, there would have been some sanctions in addition to the F you received). Also, the school allowing you to convert the F into a W seems to suggest that it may not have gone onto your record as academic dishonesty. If, after contacting the school, you are informed there is no charge, do not include this in your apps. (Be extra thorough in your phonecalls and questions, though, because if there is record of this but you don't report it to the schools and they don't notice, you may still have trouble when it comes to applying to the bar.)

If you find out there is a charge, attach an addendum. Explain what happened and emphasize that this was a one-time thing that happened early in your college career. Accept responsibility, explain yourself, and move on - keep it short and sweet.

Re: Need help.... Should I state?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:46:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice/information guys.  I will definitely give them a call. 

If I were to call to find out if it is indeed on my record, and it turns out that it is not, do you think that they would make a note of it, and have it eventually on my record?