Law School Discussion

« on: July 05, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »

flydog

Re: When will October '01 scores fall off my report?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question, but you don't even have to worry about it.  The LSAT reporting rules have just been changed so the schools won't be averaging multiple LSAT scores anymore.  They'll just be taking the highest score, so you're all set.

Some of you guys really need to read and understand things before posting advice and scaring the crap out of people.

2 Things changed......

1. On Feb. 14, LSAC announced that their Board of Trustees had approved a change in their "Cautionary Policies Concerning LSAT Scores and Related Services." LSAC used to encourage the use of the average of multiple scores. The revised Cautionary Policies are silent on this topic.  This change is intended to advise law schools that there is no need to always average multiple LSAT scores, and that they should use their best judgment in deciding which LSAT score best reflects the applicant's potential. Most schools already followed this methodology by using only the higher score if it was substantially higher than the lower score.

2. On June 14, the ABA followed suit in announcing it would require the reporting of the highest LSAT score IN ADDITION to the average score. If the ABA chooses to only use the highest score it may result in changes to the 25th and 75th percentile LSAT scores published by the ABA in their annual guide.

These 2 policy changes which are actually recommendations and not regulation do not affect how schools use multiple scores to evaluate candidates. LSAC will still report all scores and each school can do whatever they want with multiple scores. The difference is schools are no longer advised by LSAC to use the average and the ABA is now requesting schools provide the highest score when providing stats. ABA and LSAC have not required any school to change their admissions criteria with respect to multiple LSAT scores.

If you want to know how your school will handle multiple LSAT score you need to ask them directly.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:11:31 PM »
regardless of whether or not it is posted, schools won't care. most only go back three years at the most. i know b/c i had a considerably lower score from four years before i applied and no one even cared.

you're fine. don't sweat it. congrats on the score

goodnews

• We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
Should be purged by late July.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
This is actually a very confusing question, and you'll find that many admission offices will give you wrong information.  LSAC's policy says that scores will remain valid for 5 years, however, LSAC's 5 years would, by any reasoble person's calcualtion, add up to 6 years.  Most school's policies correspond with LSAC's 5 year policy, however, some are not aware of LSAC's counting method.  Check with the individual law school.  Some schools will say 5 years, but will count a score if it is reported by LSAC.  Some are aware of this inconsistensy and will disreguard a score after 5 years despite it appearing on your LSAC report.   

goodnews

• We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
Just to clarify how I got my info, I called LSAC and they said that the score from Oct '01 would be completely purged from your record in late July.  I asked b/c I have an '01 score as well.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »
I spoke with LSAC many times about a similar situation.  They said that they only purge scores at the end of the cycle year - meaning in June - reguardless of what month you took the LSAT, hence their 5 years actually ends up being, in reality, 6 years.  I asked specifically about a score from October 2003.  They said that it would be purged in June 2009, meaning the earliest I term I could apply for without that score appearing on my record would be fall 2010. I was so incredulous when I heard this info that I called 3 times and got the same exact info all 3 times.   

revelareveritas

• Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »
MUHAHAHAHAHA! NEVER! THEY ARE AVERAGED FOREVER! MUHAHAHAHAH! :P