Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR request  (Read 479 times)

McGoober

• View Profile
LOR request
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »
I am drafting an email to a professor to ask for a LOR. I feel at this point, email is the best method of contact because it's been a few years since I was in this professor's class. Does anyone have an example of an email they used for this purpose? If not, anyone have suggestions on how to phrase the email?

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: LOR request
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »
Miss P gave me some good advice, which I will now give you :)  Maybe you should start by reminding the professor who you are, since you haven't seen him/her in years, name the classes you had with them, tell them what you've been up to and what you're doing now, why you are choosing to go to law school and then tell him why you are choosing to ask him. Maybe you feel that you did some of your best work in his class and that he can attest to your ability as a student. Tell him how much it would mean to you, but make sure he feels that it's ok for him to say no if he doesn't think he can write a strong rec for you.

But all this should be done only if you can't find a way to meet with him. Since it's been a while, the best way would probably be a face to face meeting.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"