Read the statemnt first.

I would be mad my kid got cut
 8 (42.1%)
I would NOT be mad my kid got cut...
 4 (21.1%)
View
 7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Would you still favor AA in this scenario  (Read 3743 times)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Would you still favor AA in this scenario
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
How could you ever figure out if a candidate was "less qualified" and got in due to AA?  Maybe they are bringing something to the table beyond their scores that makes them just as qualified or more qualified.  Unless you know someone's work experience, extra-currics, recommendations, etc. etc. 

Maybe they have a rich father who donated a library to the school or something. Why don't you resent that kid, instead of the AA kid?  Or the kid who had a private tutor help with test prep that made him outscore your kid, who is actually more apt and smarter than the prepped kid.  Again, why target the AA kid over some other unfair admit that took your kid's spot?
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
How could you ever figure out if a candidate was "less qualified" and got in due to AA?  Maybe they are bringing something to the table beyond their scores that makes them just as qualified or more qualified.  Unless you know someone's work experience, extra-currics, recommendations, etc. etc. 

Maybe they have a rich father who donated a library to the school or something. Why don't you resent that kid, instead of the AA kid?  Or the kid who had a private tutor help with test prep that made him outscore your kid, who is actually more apt and smarter than the prepped kid.  Again, why target the AA kid over some other unfair admit that took your kid's spot?

TITCR
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 12:21:34 PM »
This is not a case of someone being less qualified. "Less qualified" would apply to this situation which happened to a friend I used to have. She worked for a school that had to lay off one person in her department. She was the third-lowest on the totem pole, had a degree in education, and was fully certified. She was laid off over the two males below her, neither of whom had a degree in education or a teaching certificate. In that case, you can actually see the difference in credentials. In the case of university AA, the quality of high school you go to can directly affect your GPA and your SAT, since lots of schools have in-house SAT prep courses and offer more AP/honors courses that boost GPAs. In addition, the child from the wealthier school may also go to private test prep courses and other private tutoring to help boost his/her grades. How can you really say that the person from the less privileged background is undeserving because his parents couldn't afford a private school or private test prep?

thorc954

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 01:35:12 AM »
It's all about 'self' identification.  If you identify with you're blackness and you're 1/8, by all means check it.  If you're 1/4 black but you've been white all your life and didn't even find out about that black grandma till you were applying to college, its pretty hypocritical and dishonest to check it.

I would check it anyway.... Im half maltese and I checked that I was a minority on a law school application.  I mean, I am white, but there are only 30 thousand of us in the country. 14 thousand males, I think that makes me a URM.  I think you should use any means possible to advance yourself. The question the OP posted shouldnt come into play, cause either there kid is 100% caucasian or a URM.  And anyway, credentials are all relative. I got into schools people with similiar numbers didnt and they got into schools that I didnt...

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »
I would check it anyway.... Im half maltese and I checked that I was a minority on a law school application.  I mean, I am white, but there are only 30 thousand of us in the country. 14 thousand males, I think that makes me a URM.  I think you should use any means possible to advance yourself. The question the OP posted shouldnt come into play, cause either there kid is 100% caucasian or a URM.  And anyway, credentials are all relative. I got into schools people with similiar numbers didnt and they got into schools that I didnt...

I can't be the only one who thinks that the anti-AA simpletons are all talk.  I'm calling BS that you put this down.

thorc954

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »
Nah, I definitely did write it in on one of my applications.  I wanted to see if it played a difference in my decision one way or another.  I got in pretty quickly.  It wasn't a school I was really considering or I wouldnt have put it down. 

what do you mean by your comment though? "anit-AA simpletons are all talk"

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 10:36:17 AM »
Nah, I definitely did write it in on one of my applications.  I wanted to see if it played a difference in my decision one way or another.  I got in pretty quickly.  It wasn't a school I was really considering or I wouldnt have put it down. 

I'm looking at your LSN and I can't see any school which would have fit this description.  Color me skeptical.

what do you mean by your comment though? "anit-AA simpletons are all talk"

Well, I realize I've conflated you with another poster over in Red's thread and you aren't the person I thought you were.  Having said that, a lot of people like to act tough on these threads and claim that they put down that they were a URM just to fight the system (there's a whole thread dedicated to this question with a lot of braggadocio flying around).  I think nobody actually does this, they just want their internet friends to think they're cool.  The consequences for lying are just too high.  Maybe I'm wrong, but unless it's Wake, I don't see what school you could have done this for.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
He'll be attending GW (which was a reach for him), so a school he wouldn't have really considered attending would likely be a T2. (I also don't buy his story. More likely, he wrote about being a Maltese immigrant in his diversity statement).

Is it me, or do GW and Columbia attract far more than their fair share of the very confused?

Yeah, I saw his LSN.  GW may have been a reach, but he was waitlisted and then accepted, so it's not that hard to believe.  In fact, his cycle seems to have gone as it should, I don't see any evidence that he wrote a diversity statement.  I think he's just acting tough here.  And yeah, I second the GW/Columbia taking angry young men comment.

thorc954

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 09:03:52 PM »
lol, im not an angry young man.  My statement had nothing to do with diversity, I just played up the relation of my major to the field of law.  Ummm, on the application to Baylor I checked other for race and wrote in Matlese.  I mean I figure anyone reasonably intelligent would understand I was still white, but I figured it would be interesting to see the reaction. There was no way I was going to Texas, because I wanted a school close to home. 

Dont get me confused, I probably am the same person you thought I was while reading the other post.  I really disagree with AA in the same manor I disagree with legacy admits.  I think it is completely unfair for other applicants when used.  However, I feel like people should take advantage of the system and use it anyway they can to get ahead. YEa, AA sucks, but it definitely wouldnt be advised for a minority to disregard their status when applying.   

GW was definitely a reach though. I wasnt expecting to be called off the waitlist. 

thorc954

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »
And I dont hate minorities like it came off on the last post.  I just hate AA when being applied to law school.  I hate the ideas of quotas when the  playing field should have been leveled during the undergraduate experience.  However, I definitely agree that the lsat should be weighed considerable because of  the gap in scores.