Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Those who check the "other" box  (Read 1645 times)

mhzumaeta

• View Profile
    • Email
Those who check the "other" box
« on: July 04, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »
So I'm an "other" checker, (I'm basque) and am curious about you other "others" What are you and do you think being an other helped, hurt, didn't mean anything on your apps.

controller.controller

• View Profile
Re: Those who check the "other" box
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »
I always answer the "what are you?" question with, "I'm Canadian," and then sit back and enjoy the strained attempts of people to re-phrase things to get the answer they were looking for. :) haha, seriously, I'm indian (the india kind) with a twist of assorted white, and I don't think "other" means much of anything on the application, unless you make some active attempt otherwise (e.g., "As a gay atheist who is a member of a minority group that commonly stones such people...").

Actually, this raises an interesting question. In my country the word "Asian" has been taken over by those who in less understanding times were referred to as "Oriental". South Asians (Indian subcontinent) would very rarely be expected to check a box labelling themselves as Asians. I know this is basically the opposite of how things work in England, but what about the US? Am i an Asian in Other's clothing?

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 03:01:34 AM »
I seem to recall one of my professors in university telling me that technically, East Indian people legally had to be checked off as "caucasian." I honestly forget the reason why but when I first heard about that, I thought that was ridiculous and then I heard the reason and I felt it made sense.

cyberrev

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »
i have checked 'other' at times just because its none of their damn business.  ok, if it's for a specific purpose, such as an aa admission or scholarship, i wouldnt, but if its just for statistical profiling, i object

they dont have a check box for blonde, brunette, redhead, bald or for your eye color or male private part size (although every guy would check the > 9" box)

the whole thing pisses me off.  my kids are biracial and the school made them choose either caucasian or asian. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 02:22:31 PM »
So I'm an "other" checker, (I'm basque) and am curious about you other "others" What are you and do you think being an other helped, hurt, didn't mean anything on your apps.
What AM I ... I'm an "other" :D
I'm biracial. I think checking other on the LSAC report hurt my scholarship chances at one of the schools I applied to. That school seemed to offer generous scholarships to minorities, but didn't offer me a dime  :-\

I agree w/rev ... I don't mind explaining my ethnic background if it's for diversity purposes, but I don't like statistical profiling.
A lot of times I ignore instructions to "check only one" box - I think that's f--ed up.  I actually dare to check TWO boxes!

Btw rev ... sometimes there is a "decline to state" option.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

thorc954

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 08:04:25 PM »
I checked other on one application. If they had a spot for bald, I would have been hesitant but would  have checked that off too. I get tired of defining myself as  simply caucasion. I wrote in Maltese on an app and let them figure that one out. 

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 05:04:12 AM »
I seem to recall one of my professors in university telling me that technically, East Indian people legally had to be checked off as "caucasian." I honestly forget the reason why but when I first heard about that, I thought that was ridiculous and then I heard the reason and I felt it made sense.
I cant begin to fathom what such an explaination could be for East Indians (liek myself) to check of caucasian.
...well naturally I ws cursious so I googled it and did find this...
The Black Power leaders underestimated the importance of these divisions, and failed to provide the
necessary groundwork within the Indian community. The term "black" moreover, generally referred to persons
of predominantly African descent. Most Indians did not regard themselves as being black. In a letter to the
editor, for example an Indian writer responded negatively to having been categorized as such by the Black
Power Movement:

"I object to being black.. Indian belong to the Caucasian or "white" race... why then call Indians black?"
    ... You the Black Power members are asking us to join you in your march for power.. Your sudden
    interest in the East Indian sugar worker is viewed with suspicion... We are not prepared to support you."

A statement only proving that there ill feelings towards each other are still present. Black Power or even Indian
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 05:27:15 AM »
Well, I looked frtehr into it and found this on good ol' wikipedia
anthropologists had defined members of the Indian subcontinent as being members of the Caucasian race.
and...
Caucasian:
2. A term used briefly in the early years of the 20th century by anthropologists to refer to the race of human beings that inhabits Europe, Iran, parts of Central Asia, and the north of the Indian Sub-Continent. This use of the word derives from the theory that all of these populations ultimately originate in the Caucasus region. The word has passed out of common use in academic circles, but is still used in North American English to refer to ethnic Europeans - ironically because of this the largest groups considered to be Caucasians, the inhabitants of South Asia and Iran, would not be considered as such under this definition.
[...]
Many ethnic groups belong to Caucasians, including but not limited to:

Whites (Europeans)
Arabs
Berbers
Jews
Caucasics (restricted to the Caucasus area around Georgia and Armenia)
Pakistanis
Some Indians
Additionally, I'm jatt so my anscestors were Scythians, which were caucasian.
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:22:16 PM »
For AA purposes, if you check "other" and you have any Hispanic, Native American, or African-American ancestry, you are screwing yourself. Use every advantage available and don't feel guilty about it. The opportunity is out there: take it.
Vanderbilt 2010