Law School Discussion

Below 160?

Re: Below 160?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 10:55:45 AM »
To the guy who took it cold, consider it an investment.  I personally threw down about $40 for a test prep book and 10 previous LSAT tests.  For six months (I had a job where I chatted with people online, so I had a lot of free time) I studied about 3 hours a day.  I first practice test I got about a 154.  I scored a 161 and I've gotten "compensation" for my $40 investment. 

If I had spent $3000 on a prep course, it would have still been an excellent return on investment.  It's not unamerican...it just makes sense.

You can't talk sense/economics/finance/reason with the looney left.

some weird girl

• Hobbs I object!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - icyandcoldgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 12:58:06 AM »
153 (57%) Cold.

I don't know.  I feel as though that (slightly above average) is a good indication of my natural abilities.  The problem is that I think everyone should take the test cold, but obviously this is not possible with people selling all sorts of test materials to the highest bidder.

I find 'private preparatory courses' disgusting, un-American and a function of the ruling plutocracy.

I might hit the books for September, but why?  To prove that my inflation can be done as well as yours? 

This is nonsense.  Maybe you should hit the books so that you're competitive with the people who are willing to prepare and work hard.  Or do you consider hard work as un-American as prep courses?

I've seen many an advantaged child coast through college without any drive or hunger.  Kudos to the kids who spend their parent's money (or often-times their own) on prep courses instead of alcohol and six years of undergrad.  I've bought several prep books and they weren't sold to the highest bidder.  There's several books available for a flat rate on Amazon, and guess what, these study books are not outside the financial scope of most college grads or even undergrads for that matter.  Personally, I have no desire to use my family's lack of financial fortune as an excuse for accepting mediocrity in my life.

*Rant over*

well said

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »
I think theres a point that was mentioned briefly that i'd like to bring up again...

Many students taking Kaplan, princeton review etc ARE paying for it themselves. I'm in Kaplan and i take it very seriously, i go to the study center and use every practice test available from them. That being said, not all students do. But i dont consider myself a "wealthy spoiled kid" since i actually use my resources to their fullest capacity. Despite what people think, Kaplan cant raise your score unless YOU put in the work. They just give you all the necessary resources to help you succeed (in most cases). But i'd like not to think because that ONLY because i took Kaplan, i got a high score. I hope its because of how many hours and hard work i put in. Please stop the stereotypes.