Law School Discussion

which idea do you think is better??

amil

which idea do you think is better??
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:13:18 PM »
which topic idea do you think would be better for a personal statement?
1) i'm an african american male and during my junior year of college my girlfriend and i started dating.  she is cuban american and her parents didn't accept our relationship because of my ethnicity.  my gf told me to decide if i wanted to continue being with her becuase she knew she did.  this experience force me to make a tough decision, however i decided to stay with her.

2) two of my best friends since freshman year of college were killed in the past 12 months.  this essay would be about dealing with tragedy and how i was able to handle it. 

any input you guys could provide me would be great?  thanks in advance!!

anrya

• View Profile
Re: which idea do you think is better??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
I think the difficulties of an interacial relationship will make for a better PS. You didn't mention how your friends died but I think it's a very cliche PS topic (EVERYONE knows someone who died...) and it'll be harder to pull off.

amil

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
one of my friends was stabeed to death at a party after attempting to break up a fight.  my other friend was shot by random gun fire at a party by two guys who were upset because they weren't allowed inside.  i think the nature of their deaths was the main issue for me to deal with.  the interacial topic however i do think is better because it may not be so depressing.  thanks for your advice.

anrya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »
I think the friends' deaths could be a good PS topic if it made you realize you want to become some sort of anti-violence advocate. You mentioned you are an African American and I think with all the stereotypes with young Black youths and violence in America, this could be a good opportunity to take a stance and say something about wanting a change and changing people's perception of Black youths... or something like that. Am I making sense? I think your friend's deaths can be a strong topic if written well.

amil

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
i agree with what you are saying, however don't think i want to be a anti violence advocate (wanted to go to law school before their deaths).  right now i'm leaning more towards writing about my relationship.  i think the thing that i will focus on is how i'm not your stereotypical black male.  i went to private school from middle to high school.  in college i'm at the top of my class, and have atypical goals of my friends amongst my own race.  none of this however mattered when i wanted to date my gf because her parents only saw one thing and that was color.  this was a blow to me and one of the major cases of discrimination i've ever had to deal with.  what do you think?

anrya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
I think it sounds promising. I'd like to read the first draft when you get done with it.  :)

amil

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »
no problem.  i'll probably get started writing away on it this week so i would say next week sometime i will have a rough rough draft complete.  thanks for your input

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »
Ok, so my post is not a response to your questions, but I have to ask - have your girlfriends parents come to accept the relationship?  If not how do the two of you deal with this?  It must be heartbreaking for her - her parents are basically making her choose between people she loves. very sad, I am sorry for you both. 

amil

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:53 AM »
unfortunately they haven't.  to make matters worse, once we decided to stay together her parents disowned her.  its hard for both of us but it helps that the rest of her family is cool with me.  they all know their parents are in the wrong and go way out of their way to make us feel comfortable.  just hurts to know her parents don't accept our relationship that much, seeing as though they still have never met me.  and thats just the short story!!