Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Law School  (Read 14046 times)

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: National Law School
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 03:42:33 AM »
We really want to do this.  How many applications are received v. rejected each year?  Every year the admission index goes up and up, the ABA mandates it.  You can not keep your standards at the same level, you have to keep raising them, which weeds more and more people out of the law school's.  I understand you feel their are too many lawyers out there, job competition is so intense these days.

As for our page rank, here is a great article on how google page rank works out there.  http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/

Doug Marcus
www.nationallawschool.net

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 03:50:37 AM »
When you get out there and start working, I don't want you to underestimate a lawyer who went to a Non-ABA school or is even Pro Se.  I once saw a student ask for injunctive relief and actually got a TRO against a huge law firm.  The student was immediatly able to go back to school.

legal elements are legal elements, and if you can prove them even a Pro Se lawyer can get a TRO, a writ of replevin, be awarded a huge judgement or even get a jury conviction overturned.

Doug Marcus

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 03:57:43 AM »
I totally disagree.  A student with above average intelligence who does not study and train for the LSAT is going to score in the 140's and probably not get into Cooley.  I feel the top scores on the LSAT determine who should get into the top schools, however the 140 and 150 students could actually be great lawyers who just didn't care enough to prepare for the LSAT.  

an ABA school is not for everyone.  What happens to those students who can not afford it, who can't go into debt to go to school, who do not have the time to travel to an ABA school etc?  Should they all be denied a legal education.

What will happen, is justice will become much more available.  You can literally replicate the entire clerk's office online, alot of the court calls can be done online, and eventually more and more people wil file cases.  

The problem is, not enough cases.  Do you have how many idea how many cases are never brought to court?  

Doug Marcus
www.nationalawschool.net

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 04:09:07 AM »
Why do you think so many people settle?  Because one side has already written a complaint, has a very strong legal argument and going to court is going to cost alot of money and time.  People settle all the time, but you still have to know your legal argument and get someone to put it down on paper.  You can have someone else do the writing and research, but a good lawyer can always see their legal argument and will put the other side into a position where they want to settle.  You need to know what you are doing, these companies just do not settle anymore.

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 04:17:19 AM »
So, it seems to me that perhaps the most troubling aspect of "National Law School" is that it is basically a financial con in which the school takes a ton of your tuition money (or the state's financial aid) and in exchange for however many years of work and money you put in, you are pretty much garunteed to be worse off than you were before you entered "National Law School" because now you a) have debt b) have wasted 3 years of your life that could have been spent doing something that would actually help you economically and c) have gained nothing in terms of job prospects or higher earning potentially that could possibly offset these sacrifices.  You are probably not going to pass the california bar (like most non-aba educated CA bar test takers).  Your degree will not be reputable to any employers, since the school has no history of producing any good students--or any students at all!  

I completely understand that your school is trying to reach out to the least competitive prospective applicants, becuase these applicants are likely to be the least well informed about the perils of trusting you with their hopes and their dollars.  You should be ashamed.  Honestly.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 04:23:18 AM »
I totally disagree.  A student with above average intelligence who does not study and train for the LSAT is going to score in the 140's and probably not get into Cooley.  I feel the top scores on the LSAT determine who should get into the top schools, however the 140 and 150 students could actually be great lawyers who just didn't care enough to prepare for the LSAT.  

an ABA school is not for everyone.  What happens to those students who can not afford it, who can't go into debt to go to school, who do not have the time to travel to an ABA school etc?  Should they all be denied a legal education.

What will happen, is justice will become much more available.  You can literally replicate the entire clerk's office online, alot of the court calls can be done online, and eventually more and more people wil file cases.  

The problem is, not enough cases.  Do you have how many idea how many cases are never brought to court?  

Doug Marcus
www.nationalawschool.net

I love how he misspells his own web site's url in this post.
Columbia 2L.

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 04:24:10 AM »
Full disclosure: Baytostay is going to SLS, and just irked that National is HQ'ed in Shallow Alto!

Discuss!

You've outed me! You're right, I'm just scared of the competition down the street!  My degree will be worth nothing when National Law School "shakes up the legal profession".  :o ::) ;)

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 04:25:06 AM »
I strongly disagree with you sir.  In California, a school like concordlawschool.edu has close to a 50% pass rate, which is where alot of ABA schools are in California.  From the stats I have from the State Bar of California, Online law students are doing just as well as 2nd tier ABA schools.  The model has already been proven by Concord, they are owned by Kaplan, the guys you probably paid all that money too for their pre course so you could score so high on the LSAT.  

You forget to realize some students are not 22.  Out tuition is $10,000 per year, but goes down depending on your LSAT score and undergraduate GPA.

For someone who is 40 years old, has children and this is their life long dream, what do you expect them to do?  I speak to students all the time, who tell me they same story that this was always their dream, they never had a chance to go, and this is a great opportunity for them. You say the student is no better off, but they have a Juris Doctorate degree and can now be a member of the California State Bar, which opens up so many doors.

Doug Marcus

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 04:25:53 AM »

Doug Marcus
www.nationalawschool.net

That's not true.  For one, 140s will get you into Cooley.   Its true that the skills needed to succeed in law school and probably practice (not speaking from experience as to the latter) aren't well represented on the LSAT.  But I think a person of average intelligence can score at least 150 without study on the LSAT.  It is capable of some raw measure or analytical and reasoning skills.

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 04:28:26 AM »

For someone who is 40 years old, has children and this is their life long dream, what do you expect them to do?  

Doug Marcus

They can go to an ABA accredited school like about a dozen of my classmates.