Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Law School  (Read 13550 times)

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: National Law School
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »
Has anyone see the virtual poker rooms? (party poker, poker stars, etc)  Why can that not be done to ensure the Socratic Method is used.  Imagine you are in a seat in law school, you can see your professor, they can see you, you can see other students.  You can even break into groups, talk amond yourselves, ask questions which the rest of the class can hear and be answered immediatly by the professor.

I plan to totally replicate the law school environment.  Oh and of course, live deposition technology.  A court reporter uses her steno to type out the transcripts of the class in real time.  You can annotate them, take notes, hightliight stuff etc.  It is all linked to the live class, you can go and review it etc.

Look at how many schools are adding elearning platforms?  The developer of that platform is in great shape, and we just happen to know 100 Indian guys willing to do the job.

We all appreciate your comments and concerns, everyone at National is dedicated to this law school, the software we will build and our ability to bring all education to those who want and desire it.

Doug

This is a fantastic way to prove your school is respectable. Open with a comparison between yourself and a bunch of shady offshore gambling operations, and close with some casual stereotyping of Indians as being good computer programmers. Nicely done.
Columbia 2L.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2006, 04:08:36 AM »

This is a fantastic way to prove your school is respectable. Open with a comparison between yourself and a bunch of shady offshore gambling operations, and close with some casual stereotyping of Indians as being good computer programmers. Nicely done.

Frankly, I think it's completely unfair to compare party poker to National Law School. After all, I think if someone spent three years playing party poker they'd probably have something to show for it.

ZING!

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2006, 04:09:55 AM »
You will have to wait a few years.  We will become ABA approved and we will develop some really great technology.  Any business, law school or career takes a long time to build.  We have a vision and we are not going to stop until it is accomplished.  Like I said, we appreciate the comments, but if you think you can just open up a school in a day you are very wrong.  Do you know how complicated it is to get degree granting authority in any state, let alone to grant J.D. degrees?  Do you think the California State Bar will just register any law school?  Do you have any idea of the work involved to start a law school?  How many lawyers are out there, how many people start a law school?

Doug

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:37 AM »
You will have to wait a few years.  We will become ABA approved and we will develop some really great technology.  Any business, law school or career takes a long time to build.  We have a vision and we are not going to stop until it is accomplished.  Like I said, we appreciate the comments, but if you think you can just open up a school in a day you are very wrong.  Do you know how complicated it is to get degree granting authority in any state, let alone to grant J.D. degrees?  Do you think the California State Bar will just register any law school?  Do you have any idea of the work involved to start a law school?  How many lawyers are out there, how many people start a law school?

Doug

Do you know how hard it is to fit a firecracker in your mouth? How many people and firecrackers are out there, and how many people try to fit one in their mouth?

There's already enough law schools. I hope I don't come off as an ass, but frankly, admissions standards ain't that TOUGH even at ABA approved schools around the 4th tier. And even if people do refuse to study for the lsat, or to retake, there's ALREADY non aba-approved schools that will merrily take them. Plenty of them.

Just my opinion, but to me, you come off as just someone who thinks they're pretty clever at figuring out a way to cash out on suckers with a lower overheard by doing it online.

I used to have a Political Science professor who encouraged us to often ask the question "Cui Bono?", 'who benefits?'... You do. By whatever salary you're making, etc. Your students certainly don't, you're offering them a way out with less invested effort, and unreal expectations. They'd be significantly better off at a tier 4.

So, in my opinion, Cui Bono?

Doug does.

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2006, 04:47:23 AM »
http://lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=VideoStreams/financing-a-legal-ed_main.html

Watch the video.  Even LSAC is telling potential students to be very careful of going into debt.  If you go to a tier 4, think of the debt.  These LSAC videos answer your question, the guy at the end of the movie feels he is years behind someone with the same degree because he is in so much debt.

Doug

nationallaw

• View Profile
    • Email

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2006, 04:59:35 AM »
http://lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=VideoStreams/financing-a-legal-ed_main.html

Watch the video.  Even LSAC is telling potential students to be very careful of going into debt.  If you go to a tier 4, think of the debt.  These LSAC videos answer your question, the guy at the end of the movie feels he is years behind someone with the same degree because he is in so much debt.

Doug

Wow, Doug. The wheel is spinning but the hampster's dead.

Thump... thump... thump... thump...

matcauthon

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2006, 06:11:22 AM »
Just in case any one is still following this thread. Not only does www.nationallawschool.net appear to be gigantic waste of money, it is also walking a thin line on fraud and passing off. I am an alumnus of the National Law School of India University (www.nls.ac.in), a fully sccredited law unversity in India. I urge all LSD members to check out our website, if only to see how blatantly our logo has been ripped off by the "next big thing in online legal education".

Why would someone want to trade on our name? Simply put, NLSIU is our equivalent of Harvard. Apologies if this appears pretentious, but we have been rated the No. 1 law school in India 10 years running, which wouldn't be remarkable but for the fact that the institution's only 19 years old. In the last five years, NLSIU has sent 8 Rhodes scholars, from a total student population of 450 at any given point of time. It is also the only Indian law school from which UK firms recruit directly. Several NLSIU alumni are currently partners with top US law firms or professors at Top 25 US law schools, Oxford and Cambridge. Clearly, there is some amount of recognition for NLSIU in America and Europe. Smaller law firms or firms who do not have NLSIU alumni working there, and have heard of NLSIU, graduates of NLSIU and "graduates" of nationallawschool.net could very well be one and the same.

Another small point to add to the many "charms" of nationallawschool.net. In the "What can I do with my degree?" section of the website, its said that "graduates" from nationallawschool.net would be eligible to practise in India. This is a blatant lie, as the Indian legal system is closed to all foreign law degree holders. Of course, it's beyond my comprehension what the attraction of being able to practise in India would be for an American lawyer, but then I went to a real law school and not to a website.

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2006, 01:02:10 PM »
Matcauthon, that is great information for us all to know! It sickens me that someone would disgrace your school like that.

younghova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2006, 10:25:44 PM »
why should LSD be exploited by this crap.  i can't believe this poster has been allowed to post for this long.