Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Microsoft - your business is our passion - Oh,yeah, right  (Read 924 times)

jgruber

Microsoft - your business is our passion - Oh,yeah, right
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:01:53 PM »
God, what screwups.

Microsoft Pushes Back Automatic Delivery of SP2
By Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft Watch
August 16, 2004    

Monday, August 16, was set to be D-day for the automatic delivery of Microsoft's Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

But at the last minute, the Redmond software vendor decided to push back by at least nine days the Windows Update/Automatic Update launch date for its collection of security fixes and features. Microsoft cited customer demand as the reason for the delay. A number of corporate customers are not ready to deploy SP2 and need to use Microsoft's recently introduced toolkit for temporarily blocking SP2 delivery until they can adequately test the release with their custom and third-party software.

Microsoft recently published a list of about 50 software applications—some from Microsoft, others from third-party vendors —that may not work properly with Windows XP SP2 without users performing manual modifications.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1636448,00.asp

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft - your business is our passion - Oh,yeah, right
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 10:38:10 AM »
i installed SP2 last week and it has been nothing short of a nightmare for me.  there are problems with application stability, the firewall acts weird if you already have a norton or symantec installed, there are problems with executing java programs, problems with running multiple instances with various applications, errors when attempting to build from eclipse, etc. etc. 

the list goes on and on.

if any of you work in large companies and your sys admin has downloaded SP2 for you to install, do not install.  it is a headache.  and it is a female dog to roll back, even if an image is saved.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:42:52 AM »
westlaw said do not do it
i think the list apps that won't work has grown to 50, including MS apps and Adobe

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:44:46 AM »
this was a highly anticipated service pack.  they should have done some decent testing on this before rolling it out. 

im sure some heads are gonna roll over there.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 10:46:09 AM »
It was overhyped, they're pretty silly for just throwing it out there though, but I guess since its Microsoft, what can you expect?

Good thing I never was a n XP fan anyway, I'm still running 2000.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 10:46:35 AM »
it's really funny.  they didn't even bother to test it with their own apps. 

this was a highly anticipated service pack.  they should have done some decent testing on this before rolling it out. 

im sure some heads are gonna roll over there.