Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stand up for the war  (Read 9248 times)

jgruber

Stand up for the war
« on: August 16, 2004, 08:53:09 PM »
This may seem like a harsh or provocative question, but it is one that should be asked.

Many people have expressed support for the war in Iraq.  For them it is a just war against a horrible tyrant, and despite the controversy it is a war we should fight.

If you feel the war is just and it should be fought and fought by us, why are you going to law school and not into the military?

I realize that some LSDers have been to Iraq.  At least one is there now.  Others serve or have served in the military.  I served for seven years myself.  This question is not for them, but of course anyone is free to respond.

And I mean no disrespect to anyone in asking this question, but it is a natural question.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Stand up for the war
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 09:08:33 PM »
This one is simple.

I am too old to be accepted.

If I was 29 instead of 36, Id be looking for a way to get into OCS instead of Law school.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 09:11:51 PM »
You old farts...

This one is simple.

I am too old to be accepted.

If I was 29 instead of 36, Id be looking for a way to get into OCS instead of Law school.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 09:17:27 PM »
You asked dude... thats my answer.

To be honest 9-11 has alot to do with my going back and finishing my BA at all.  After it happened, I was like, @#!*, Im 33.. to old for anything useful in a military sense.... but wanted to make a contribution in some way, BIG motivating factor.

Of course it took me a year or so to realize that with a bad overall gpa from CalState nowheresville that I wasnt gonna be recruited to do CIA, FBI or DHS work either.  But at least maybe someday as an Atty, I may do something useful.. who knows.

certainly has more options for contribution than working in IT.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:22:42 PM »
I"m just messing with you.  9/11 did something simlar to me and a lot of people.  Life is short and there's a lot you could do, so get off your ass, jeffjoe and do something.

You asked dude... thats my answer.

To be honest 9-11 has alot to do with my going back and finishing my BA at all.  After it happened, I was like, @#!*, Im 33.. to old for anything useful in a military sense.... but wanted to make a contribution in some way, BIG motivating factor.

Of course it took me a year or so to realize that with a bad overall gpa from CalState nowheresville that I wasnt gonna be recruited to do CIA, FBI or DHS work either.  But at least maybe someday as an Atty, I may do something useful.. who knows.

certainly has more options for contribution than working in IT.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »
To be honest, we get enough people who already join for the wrong reasons; I don't want people to feel obligated to join the military to support their personal beliefs on the war.  If someone truly wants to join the military -- then by all means do it, I know it has made me a better person.  However, there are other ways people can support their nation and becoming a lawyer is certainly one of them.

And I know you said this topic was not for everyone, sorry.

This may seem like a harsh or provocative question, but it is one that should be asked.

Many people have expressed support for the war in Iraq.  For them it is a just war against a horrible tyrant, and despite the controversy it is a war we should fight.

If you feel the war is just and it should be fought and fought by us, why are you going to law school and not into the military?

I realize that some LSDers have been to Iraq.  At least one is there now.  Others serve or have served in the military.  I served for seven years myself.  This question is not for them, but of course anyone is free to respond.

And I mean no disrespect to anyone in asking this question, but it is a natural question.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »
eight, if someone believes in a cause but will not serve in that cause...what does that sa about their belief?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 09:28:25 PM »
it is amazing how the biggest chicken hawks (not includingsect 8 or ahongus) are always the first to say they have knee problems or asthma, or are to old or this or that but want the US to send SOMEONE ELSE.  bottom line is that if this were a real war with real motivations everyone and their momma would be signing up to go to the military to fight in iraq...look at WWII
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 09:30:29 PM »
i'm wathing lord of the rings on tv right now.  i think i see at least part of the appeal of the story.  there is an enemy that is clearly evil, no grey areas, no soft moral ground.  strictly good against evil.

I think many of us envy that simplicity of great purpose

jrhc1210

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.85/Oct
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jrhc1210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:35:28 PM »
My eyes are too bad to join the air force.
I can't shoot worth shi*t, so I wouldn't make a very useful Marine or Army officer.
I have seriously considered doing navy, but according to my friends who are Navy rotc, the Navy is turning down people for OCS as it is - and they're about to do a major cut.

As it is, I will probably be considering doing JAG after law school, and would seriously consider service of all kinds in the government - CIA, DoD, Department of State. Conversely, I would also enjoy working for the UN. Most honestly, I would want to work for an NGO that could help build the civil society that will be key to democratization in Iraq and elsewhere in the developing world.

Re blunts, I see your point. But the military now is much different than it was then. A Marine I know who was a classics major had all these ideals of an army made of "citizen soldiers," but after having served in Afghanistan and Iraq, he's realized that the warfare is different now, depending on highly trained people who are GOOD at what they do. Read Black Hawk Down to see an extreme example of this principle in action.