Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stand up for the war  (Read 9058 times)

jgruber

Re: Stand up for the war
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »
Advocating war is a decision unlike any other.

Joining the military is a decision unlike any other. It's not only a decision to engage in any particular conflict, but rather, an open-ended commitment to subordinate one's own opinions and desires to whatever one's superiors believe is right for the country. Those people who join the military know that it is possible that they will be called on to fight a war that they may have disagreed with as a civilian but they choose to join knowing of this possibility.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2004, 10:48:32 AM »
Im sure someone will show up soon and question the size of your testes... but dont worry, hes all bark and no bite.

I'm still waiting for someone to call me unpatriotic for putting my familial obligations before my country.  Anybody? 

ZAP

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2004, 11:07:43 AM »
This may seem like a harsh or provocative question, but it is one that should be asked.

Many people have expressed support for the war in Iraq.  For them it is a just war against a horrible tyrant, and despite the controversy it is a war we should fight.

If you feel the war is just and it should be fought and fought by us, why are you going to law school and not into the military?

I'm doing both.  I'm going into the reserves as a Civil Affairs Officer, and planning on starting law school in 2005.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2004, 11:12:07 AM »
if people have other priorities than fighting for their war then THEY CANT JUSTIFY SOMEONE DYING IN THAT WAR.

the poeple that created vietnam werent the ones that made sacrifices in it.

people will swear up and down that the war was IMMEDIATELY NECESSARY, but they arent willing to do it.  to me, that means that it is NOT THAT NECESSSARY because if it was they would be the first to go.

if the US is to maintain its integrity (you military people know the meaning of that word) and core values it must ONLY wage war as a LAST resort.

So you're saying that only someone with combat experience should be the Commander-in-Chief, right?  Then I presume you supported GHWB and Dole over Clinton...

jgruber

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
I don't think so, but you want the C in C to fully appreciate the true cost of war.

if people have other priorities than fighting for their war then THEY CANT JUSTIFY SOMEONE DYING IN THAT WAR.

the poeple that created vietnam werent the ones that made sacrifices in it.

people will swear up and down that the war was IMMEDIATELY NECESSARY, but they arent willing to do it.  to me, that means that it is NOT THAT NECESSSARY because if it was they would be the first to go.

if the US is to maintain its integrity (you military people know the meaning of that word) and core values it must ONLY wage war as a LAST resort.

So you're saying that only someone with combat experience should be the Commander-in-Chief, right?  Then I presume you supported GHWB and Dole over Clinton...

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2004, 11:14:01 AM »
But to ask someone to kill and die for what you believe in seems substantially different.

If I believe crime needs to be fought and think that police must stop bank robbers is my belief weak since I am not joining the police?

Police kill and die in the line of duty regularly.

jgruber

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2004, 11:15:58 AM »
There is that similarity.

And often police serve under very difficult circumstances, but combat is very different from police work.

I think anyone who has served in combat would tell you that.

But to ask someone to kill and die for what you believe in seems substantially different.

If I believe crime needs to be fought and think that police must stop bank robbers is my belief weak since I am not joining the police?

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:16 AM »
He's just trying to make the point that the decision congressmen make will send someone's children to war and it most likely will not be their own.

This sounds good, except for the fact that children of congress members are overrepresented among those serving in Iraq. http://timblair.spleenville.com/archives/007268.php

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2004, 11:27:31 AM »
I would agree that it is very likely that being a cop is unlike being in armed combat, most people that police deal with are not a good match for them, police are protected from prosecution for their actions largely, and they generally vastly overpower anyone who stands up to them.

Although, the LA cops who had to deal with those guys with full auto and body armor have some idea Im sure.

And often police serve under very difficult circumstances, but combat is very different from police work.

jgruber

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »
Many if not most cops never fire a shot and are never fired at.

I would agree that it is very likely that being a cop is unlike being in armed combat, most people that police deal with are not a good match for them, police are protected from prosecution for their actions largely, and they generally vastly overpower anyone who stands up to them.

Although, the LA cops who had to deal with those guys with full auto and body armor have some idea Im sure.