Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stand up for the war  (Read 8624 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: Stand up for the war
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2004, 11:30:13 PM »
going to war is substantially harder and more dangerous than either of those professions

noone disputes the necessity of fightin crime and fires, but the issue of the legitimacy of this war is highly suspect

an analogous situation would be sending a large police force to a distant country at the expense and cost of our govt alone, under questionable pretenses

if it is an international problem then it should be solved internationaly
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Bman

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2004, 11:33:10 PM »
Honestly, how to respond to this. First of all, if we're going to say that only those who put their lives on the line can respectably advocate for war does this mean that no woman can ever be pro-war? Does this mean that a woman who (correctly) wanted the United States to join the war against Germany in 1939, well before Pearl Harbor, was a chickenhawk? Well, maybe. But this says nothing about whether such a hypothetical woman would be right, which she clearly would be. No one that is too young or too old to serve? No one that's physically unable to serve? No one that's openly gay (because of the military's policy)? That's a whole hell of a lot of people to close off from having a pro-war opinion. And I suspect that's the point. The same people who make this argument, certainly aren't calling for a draft (which they would oppose militantly, like they did in Vietnam). So, in essence, no war should ever be fought. Honestly, the military is not something I would join voluntarily. Millions of men have made the opposite decision, however, and I admire them with all my heart. You're entitled to believe that the war in Iraq was wrong. But the notion that any war I advocate is overshadowed by my own decision not to join the military is a form of intellectual bullying. It makes no pretense about arguing for or against the threat posed by states who will threaten us in the future, like Iran and North Korea.

Bman

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2004, 11:36:03 PM »
Joining the military is a decision unlike any other. It's not only a decision to engage in any particular conflict, but rather, an open-ended commitment to subordinate one's own opinions and desires to whatever one's superiors believe is right for the country. Those people who join the military know that it is possible that they will be called on to fight a war that they may have disagreed with as a civilian but they choose to join knowing of this possibility.

Bman

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2004, 11:50:38 PM »
This article I think, is a pretty good refrain to the whole "would you sacrifice your son for Iraq" line of argumentation (free registration required).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55245-2004Aug10.html

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »
going to war is substantially harder and more dangerous than either of those professions
I'm not so sure about that. I think in per capita terms firefighting is more dangerous than military service. In any event even if they are safer does that somehow make it more justifiable not to "support your beliefs" by joining either service? That doesn't make sense. The fact that it requires less hardship should make the sacrifice to support such a belief that much easier.

noone disputes the necessity of fightin crime and fires, but the issue of the legitimacy of this war is highly suspect
So the fact that everyone holds fighting crime and fires to be important beliefs means no one has to "join the cause" in support of their beliefs by becoming a firefighter or police officer? How does that logically follow?
an analogous situation would be sending a large police force to a distant country at the expense and cost of our govt alone, under questionable pretenses
How is this analagous in terms of supporting your beliefs by actively joining a given service?

if it is an international problem then it should be solved internationaly
So by this criteria you're saying Clinton era intervention in Bosnia to stop genocide was unjustified or fighting Germany/Japan in WWII prior to Pearl Harbor for that matter.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2004, 01:24:22 AM »
You are a f-ing punkass who does not even know me.  You are the one making accusations of cowardice, I merely offered you the opportunity to step up to the plate and prove it.  Your answer makes it clear who the coward is.

Heres a hint, in the real world, if you call someone a coward, he might actually FORCE you to prove it instead of inviting you to do so.  Being all braveassed behind your squareheaded girlfriend, Im sure you are a warrior through and through though and dont need to hear me remind you what might happen when you write a check with your mouth that your ass cant catch in the real world.  Seriously dude, I hope you dont throw around your language like this on the street, unless you have a bunch of friends to hide behind.

Your problem is that you see VOLUNTEERS as not volunteers, but as victims.  Hey, there are ALL kinds of opportunities for poor people, Mc Donalds hires every single day in every state in the Union.  There is absolutely no reason for ANYONE to join the service who does not want to be put in harms way.

I have no pity for someone who joined the service for the wrong reasons, thinking they would never have to actually do anything.  Zero.  I think that the vast majority of people in the service have the same attitude as Eight does.  Every single one of my many friends in the service feel exactly the same way.  I am proud of them, and would join them if allowed, now that there is a real reason to put up with all the BS that comes with being in the military.

Now go @#!* off, Im done with you.

ahongus, if you want me to check to see how small your testis are then you clearly dont belong in the military, remember dont ask dont tell.

the fact that people volunteered because they had no money for college doesnt prove your point at all, in fact it goes to show that the people that make the wars arent the ones that fight them...but you already knew that didnt you ahongus?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2004, 01:38:20 AM »
dude you are so hard. you could probably kill a man.  on second thought you should join the marines...oh wait, they dont let self proclaimed faggots into the service so i guess you are out... oh well you should just hide behind your cpu all day and MASTURBATE!!

i am going to be a lawyer to beat assholes like you at your own game so piss off with that violent *&^%. i dont need to muck up my record anymore than i have.  but you should know that i was in the service and i would definitely kick your ass.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2004, 01:43:18 AM »
Accusations of cowardice arent settled in a courtroom... they can, however be settled in a ring legally so no one risks their career.

Give it some thought, I can arrange for a ring in San Diego pretty easily I think.  I would recommend that we schedule it for when class is out of session, as Id hate for you to lose out on getting that biglaw job because you missed any study time. 

Its up to you man, its your accusation, all you have to do is back it up.  Being so confident and all, Im sure thats no problem.

Edit... 15 min later

No answer?  Well, Ill give you some time to think about it.  Nite.

dude you are so hard. you could probably kill a man.  on second thought you should join the marines...oh wait, they dont let self proclaimed faggots into the service so i guess you are out... oh well you should just hide behind your cpu all day and MASTURBATE!!

i am going to be a lawyer to beat assholes like you at your own game so piss off with that violent *&^%. i dont need to muck up my record anymore than i have.  but you should know that i was in the service and i would definitely kick your ass.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »
edit

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed