Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana  (Read 3027 times)

jgruber

Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana
« on: August 16, 2004, 08:33:44 PM »
The following is from  Feminist Daily News Wire.  It was also reported on NPR, KCAU and San Jose Mercury News

Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana
A man who has been running a fake abortion referral service for over 10 years was ordered to stop his misleading activities in a preliminary injunction granted Wednesday by a Louisiana US District Court. William Graham is an anti-abortion activist who promised to connect women seeking abortions with abortion providers, only to stall and create delays intended to prevent these women from ever receiving an abortion, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights. Graham advertised his service under the name ‘Causeway Center for Women,’ a name deceptively similar to that of the legitimate Causeway Medical Clinic. The Causeway Medical Clinic and seven women duped by Graham are now suing him for false advertising, trademark infringement, and fraud.

Of the seven women currently named in the lawsuit, five reported that they were forced to carry their pregnancies to term as a result of Graham’s deception. These women had either passed the point in their pregnancies where they could legally get an abortion, or they could no longer afford the cost of an abortion, which rises as a pregnancy progresses. Graham is a known anti-abortion activist, according to the New York Timesand is currently on probation for enrolling in Louisiana’s anti-AIDS condom distribution program only to throw out the 30,000 condoms he was supposed to distribute. Suzanne Novak, an attorney for the Center for Reproductive Rights, said Wednesday, “We are thrilled with the court’s decision today. Now William Graham can no longer terrorize women in Louisiana.”

I don't agree with this person's belief on abortion --  I'm a confused mess there -- but I agree with the principle of opposing an unjust law.

After all Ghandi and MLK did that and they are my heros.

There is a big difference.  Ghandi and MLK did not hide their opposition through fraud.  They openly violated the law and were ready to accept their punishment for doing so.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 08:39:24 PM »
I am against abortion; however, if this article is accurate, I think this man is very much in the wrong for his dishonest actions. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 08:41:52 PM »
I am against abortion; however, if this article is accurate, I think this man is very much in the wrong for his dishonest actions. 

I agree but because of the way he did it.  I can support someone who breaks an unjust law.  MLK said that we are bound to obey just law and bound to disobey unjust law.
But he also said that it must be done openly and with a willingness to suffer the legal punishment.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 08:44:22 PM »
that is so messed up  :'(

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:47:12 PM »
that is so messed up  :'(

I heard the story on NPR during my commute. This guy stalled the women until it was too late in the pregnancy to get an abortion.

One woman attempted suicide because of it.

Another changed her mind about the abortion but was still angry.

Then there was this one.  A woman was raped and did not get an abortion because of this dude's stall tactics.

inthesun

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:48:47 PM »

Then there was this one. A woman was raped and did not get an abortion because of this dude's stall tactics.

Can you imagine?  This poor woman already had enough to deal with, without having her situation complicated.

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »
he's a clever SOB, ain't he-- i guess i don't find terrorize too strong a word for that

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 09:13:20 PM »
The abortion fraud part is really bad, but how did he end up on probation for throwing out the condoms?  Did he violate a specific law (thou shalt not throw away government condoms)? Was it just general theft?
3.8/155

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 09:17:05 PM »
my guess would be purely theft, sure

it's like signing up for meals on wheels and then eating all the food yourself or tossing it all in the dumpster b/c you hate poor people

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:21:10 PM »
The abortion fraud part is really bad, but how did he end up on probation for throwing out the condoms?  Did he violate a specific law (thou shalt not throw away government condoms)? Was it just general theft?

I found a NY Times article that says:

In 2002, Mr. Graham enrolled in the state's anti-AIDS condom distribution program, picked up 30,000 free condoms and discarded them. He pleaded guilty to theft and is on probation.