Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana  (Read 2951 times)

jgruber

Re: Fake Abortion Service Shut Down in Louisiana
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 01:43:23 PM »
I guess you might non-violently occupy an abortion clinic.

But you're right this guy is not being civilly disobedient.

Civil disobedience is great, but there's no way to be civilly-disobedient when it comes to pro-life/pro-choice issues.  I just can't imagine a single way you could pull that off.

Civil disobedience is when you violate a law overtly to make a point, and you do so in full willingness to accept the consequences.  If you're being covert about it, you're not making a point, so its not civil disobedience.  In this guy's case, what's he trying to prove?  He's not trying to change the system, but to save the lives of individual children.  They may grow up to thank him despite the fact that he's a jackass, but that doesn't make it civil disobedience.  What it is, despite being a jackass, I'm not sure.  Maybe there should be a new term coined for behavior such as this.

ZAP

yes, I'm using 'the law' in a general sense.

ZAP, civil disobedience is legit in my book.  This guy is just dishonest about it.

and as you point out his disobedience puts an undue burden on others.  That detracts greatly from the moral value of his actions.

unless you can find a reference showing there are laws in the books that allow abortion, I'm going to assume that there are no such laws.

and given that assumption, this guy is not opposed to any such laws, since they are nonexistent... unless you're speaking of "the law" in a vague, all-encompassing manner...

I believe there are laws on the books that specific allow abortion.

My point is that the law support abortion and this guy opposed it.

This is not an endorsement of his action.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 06:59:42 PM »
The real battle is in the hearts and minds of people.  If people didn't want abortions this would not be an issue.  Our system of government is set up to delay the wishes of the super-majority to ensure they are not simply making a spur-of-the-moment decision.  The US Supreme Court sometimes acts against the will of the majority, but when a super-majority wishes to make law even the court must bow to a constitutional amendment.

This guy is a moron who doesn't get it... the real battles have to be fought in the legal system.  The only thing that will change the way things are will be for the courts to overturn previous decisions, and let people decide for themselves whether they want it to be legal, illegal, or in-between.

ZAP
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jgruber

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 11:06:43 PM »
Do you have number to back up the super-majority?

The real battle is in the hearts and minds of people.  If people didn't want abortions this would not be an issue.  Our system of government is set up to delay the wishes of the super-majority to ensure they are not simply making a spur-of-the-moment decision.  The US Supreme Court sometimes acts against the will of the majority, but when a super-majority wishes to make law even the court must bow to a constitutional amendment.

This guy is a moron who doesn't get it... the real battles have to be fought in the legal system.  The only thing that will change the way things are will be for the courts to overturn previous decisions, and let people decide for themselves whether they want it to be legal, illegal, or in-between.

ZAP

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 11:29:07 PM »
Ya it takes 3/4's of the states, 2/3's of both houses of the US congress, Article 5 US constitution.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jgruber

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2004, 11:32:16 PM »
Sorry.  I misread your posting.  I see what you're saying now.

SNUGGLE

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get some, get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 02:04:10 PM »
The abortion fraud part is really bad, but how did he end up on probation for throwing out the condoms?  Did he violate a specific law (thou shalt not throw away government condoms)? Was it just general theft?

Kinda like beer abuse.  Sad to see good things wasted.
You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.