Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visit Advice  (Read 1711 times)

oldskewlphool

Visit Advice
« on: July 01, 2006, 07:51:08 PM »
This week I am paying a visit to three of the schools that I am applying to, all in DC. American, GW and GULC. I was wondering if anyone on here could offer me any helpfull advice, things that you wish that you had asked but forgot? or things that you checked out on your visits that really made a diffrence? anything of this nature would be nice.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Visit Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »
This week I am paying a visit to three of the schools that I am applying to, all in DC. American, GW and GULC. I was wondering if anyone on here could offer me any helpfull advice, things that you wish that you had asked but forgot? or things that you checked out on your visits that really made a diffrence? anything of this nature would be nice.

Take a look at the students. If they look frantic, worn down, tired, or worse--too chatty and "fraternity-ish," run away like the wind!  While one can tolerate a few worn chairs in the library, law students are probably the worst group of persons you could possibly spend three years of your life with!

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
I'd visit during classes if you can; you'll get a good view of the facilities over the summer, but it's tough to get a feel for the student population. 

Why are you applying to American?  You should be a lock at GW if not Georgetown.  I guess better safe than sorry, but I'd apply early to GULC and GW and see if you don't hear from them by November before you take the time and expense to apply to American.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:01:54 AM »
When I visited all three I didn't see much of GULC, if  you get into a classroom or the moot court room let me know what you think!  I'd appreciate it.

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »
I didnt spend as much time looking around one of the schools that I visited.  I went to the law school, sat in a class, and grabbed something to eat on the way outta town.  The school was in my top 3, but I figured if I was accepted there, I would get into another school that wouldve been cheaper.  I ended up chaning my opinion after visiting a couple other schools and on top of that, I wasnt admitted to the cheaper school I figured would accept me too.

If you made it through that blathering, let me just say make sure you see everything you want to see while at the school b/c you dont want to make another trip all the way there to see the things you wanted to see.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 02:20:30 PM »
Law School Confindential has some GREAT stuff to look for in a visit.  I would head to the library and read that chapter at the very least, even if you don't want to buy the book.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

oldskewlphool

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:33:14 PM »
I'd visit during classes if you can; you'll get a good view of the facilities over the summer, but it's tough to get a feel for the student population. 

Why are you applying to American?  You should be a lock at GW if not Georgetown.  I guess better safe than sorry, but I'd apply early to GULC and GW and see if you don't hear from them by November before you take the time and expense to apply to American.

I am applying to American because I wanted a saftey school that was in DC. The idea of studying law there really appeals to me and I want to make sure I have at least one option there. Thanks for the vote of confidence though! And you are probably right about applying to American later to try to save time, I think that is what I will probably do.

oldskewlphool

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
When I visited all three I didn't see much of GULC, if  you get into a classroom or the moot court room let me know what you think!  I'd appreciate it.

I saw a few classrooms at GULC. They were pretty impressive, they looked a lot more 'lived in' than the ones at GW though. The moot court room was set up for a diffrent type of presentation so it was'nt really 'set up' like it normally is so I did'nt get to really see that.

My overall impression of the visit to GULC was very very good. The place definitly lives up to, if not exceeds its ranking, especially that library, unbelivably huge. I attended an information session and the person conducting it did not seem as knowlegable about the school as I had hoped she would be. Other than that though, the place itself is amazing, great location, a huge gym, nice courtyard, astheticly pleasing buildings etc.

GW seemed really modern in terms of the technology that was in use there, everything seemed very new, especially the classrooms. I met with an admissions advisor and she was very helpful in answering all my questions. The thing I probably did not like about it was that I found it difficult to find my way around in there. It may just be me, but I kept getting lost in the buildings. The moot court room was closed so I just looked at it through the windows but it seemed especially nice.

American seemed like a really nice place despite it's ranking. I got there a few minutes late for a guided tour and it had already started so someone from the admissions office stopped everything she was doing and personally took me around on a tour. All the staff there was especially nice and helpful. Obviously, the library seemed a little weak compared with Georgetown which I had visited the previous day. Still, the whole place seemed like a good learning environment.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 11:34:03 PM »
This might be a bit of sour grapes talking, but a lot of people who apply to American with high numbers seem to get waitlisted as a yield protection action.  I know I wasn't the only one and they ask as part of the application where you are applying so they have an idea if they are your "safety" school or not.  I wouldn't lie on that form, as LSAC can prove you wrong.

Just something to consider.  American is not a good safety due to their yield protection actions.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »
I agree about GW, I was super impressed when I toured but I got lost inside the building (the floor with the computers in the hallway).  Thanks for the notes on GULC's library!