Law School Discussion

High School Stories

oldskewlphool

High School Stories
« on: June 30, 2006, 06:16:57 PM »
Is it ok to have your personal statement start out with a story from high school? or will admins look on that as evidence that you have done nothing significant since then? or at least story worthy?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: High School Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 06:58:56 PM »
Depends... if you won the science fair or you were captain of the football team, then don't do it. But if you were diagnosed with a cancerous tumor, lost a parent or saved orphans from a burning bus and it helped shape you and the last 4 years, then go to town.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:05:50 PM »
I talked about high school in my personal statement ... it was sort of an overcoming adversity/look how far I've come since then statement.

oldskewlphool

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
I come from a semi-rural red state high school and I wrote an editorial in the school newspaper about the separation of church and state that was very controversial. The principal ended up apologizing and changing the policy.

I think it is a good story, I just don't want them to get the wrong idea because it is from high school.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:11:46 AM »
Has that experience shaped how you approach other challenges? Can you directly relate it to something that you did after high school (did you feel more sure of yourself, take on other challenges becuase of your success and do you have a concrete story or two about that)? If not, I'd try to find another story to center your PS around. I have at least 2 stories from high school that would contribute to make great personal statements,  however, they don't directly talk about who I am now. And it might seem that you haven't grown since  high school if you solely talk about that story.

Taken out of context of a PS, it sounds like an awesome story.