Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: non-ABA schools... WHY???  (Read 418 times)

lawrenc967

• View Profile
non-ABA schools... WHY???
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:56:07 PM »
I see some people on LSN who are going to non-ABA approved schools.  Why would they do that?  Wouldn't it be better to not go at all?

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
Re: non-ABA schools... WHY???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:08:51 AM »
If the school gets approved it automatically becomes better than say... Roger Williams.

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
Some people won't give up on a dream even though the odds are against them. Not all lawyers are risk averse.
UVA '09

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 01:47:24 PM »
There are several non-ABA schools that are non-ABA because they are new.  Sometimes the risk and the scholarship that goes w/that risk is worth it to the applicant.  Example of a good risk - UNLV.  It is a brand new school that just got approved 2 years ago.  It debuted as a Tier 2 in the USNews Rankings.

All new schools start out as provisionally accredited and don't earn full accreditation for a minimum of 3 years.
2L

flydog

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
In CA, under certain conditions you can be admitted to the bar if you attended a non-ABA school. Attending a non-ABA school in CA may be a good option for someone that wants to practice law but couldnt get into an ABA approved school. NV may be the same way.

Here in AZ as is the case with most states you cannot be admitted to the bar unless you graduated from an ABA approved school. That makes me wonder why anyone would spend $90,000 on an education from a place like Phoenix International School of Law. They are basically rolling the dice and hoping they are approved by the ABA. ABA approval is not automatic and most schools never obtain accredidation from the ABA. In a case like that your law degree would basically only serve as expensive wallpaper.

UNLV is in a different situation because it is a state school that already has a good reputation in other disciplines and it is located in a state that has no other ABA approved law schools.