Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oddball Undergrad Degrees...  (Read 2408 times)

puzzle245

• View Profile
    • Email
Oddball Undergrad Degrees...
« on: August 16, 2004, 02:28:53 PM »
Hello!

I would love to hear any input on my situation.  I would love to go to a top law school, and I'm taking the LSAT again (I figure if I study this time I could beat my 168...) but only have a 3.4 G.P.A.  However, I'm a double major in drama and journalism at NYU, and quite frankly while drama isn't a "hard" major, grading in the fine arts is more than a little subjective.  My G.P.A. for just academic classes (journalism, humanities, sciences) is closer to a 3.8.  Do you think that law schools will take this into account? 

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oddball Undergrad Degrees...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:14:16 PM »
Hello!

I would love to hear any input on my situation.  I would love to go to a top law school, and I'm taking the LSAT again (I figure if I study this time I could beat my 168...) but only have a 3.4 G.P.A.  However, I'm a double major in drama and journalism at NYU, and quite frankly while drama isn't a "hard" major, grading in the fine arts is more than a little subjective.  My G.P.A. for just academic classes (journalism, humanities, sciences) is closer to a 3.8.  Do you think that law schools will take this into account? 

Probably not. Fine Arts degrees are generally thought of as easy, even if yours wasn't necessarily. Sorry.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »
Personally I do not think that Journalism is that rigorous as well, but really it doesn't matter... you still have good stats to get into a top law school and if you score higher on the retake it will only help. 

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 03:25:30 PM »
Personally I do not think that Journalism is that rigorous as well, but really it doesn't matter... you still have good stats to get into a top law school and if you score higher on the retake it will only help. 

Agreed.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
Education degrees are also thought of as easy/watered down....

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 03:29:25 PM »
Although fine arts degrees may be regarded as relatively unchallenging, law schools like to see oddball degrees with uncommon curricular paths.  Your degrees will make you stand out against the thousands of English, history and political science majors.  

In undergrad I was part of an independent major honors program called College Scholars.  Many of us had very untraditional curricular paths that fused multiple (often seemingly unrelated disciplines) into a comprehensive major.  In fact, one of the scholars did journalism and theatre directing.  Other program examples included nuclear medicine and LGTB studies; reproductive medicine, ethics and heath; educational policy and Spanish; Society and Law (mine).

Our program grads placed VERY well at the top grad schools for their respective interest areas.  I think that unique academic backgrounds can definitely have a positive impact.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 04:47:18 PM »
My attorney sister was a Theater major in undergrad, and had no problem getting into the school of her choice; she claimed that it worked in her favor, the ability to mentally take on different roles in her thinking. As far as adcoms go, it's all about grades and LSAT score.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:01:40 PM »
edit

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 11:52:46 PM »
Hijacking this thread from long ago...

Do you think an addendum is necessary to explain an odd major?  For example, I am a Political Communication major, which is a rarity.  Some schools have, like GW and Penn, but most don't.  It is a special program that combines Political Science, Communication, and Journalism into 1 and is very selective and difficult at my school.  Do you think I should write an addendum or no??

kernelgt

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 04:41:42 AM »
Do you think I should write an addendum or no??

Personally, I think the Adcomm's will be able to figure out the difficulty of your degree based upon the courses that you took.  Unless you address it a little bit in your personal statement (assuming it would fit with your theme..if not, then don't), I'd say not to do an addendum. 

Everyone has something peculiar that he/she could probably explain in an addendum, but it's not always necessary.  Trust that the adcomms have seen political communication as a major before.  You'll be fine.