Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Queen's University applicants to the US out there?  (Read 4476 times)

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Queen's University applicants to the US out there?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Thanks a lot, queenslifesci. In my transcripts, 65%-79% is a B. I am not quite sure whether LSAC will treat a 65% as a B, and convert it into a 3 in GPA. That's the thing bothering me cus I have several high 60s (it's pretty normal at Queen's B-school). Anyway, I just leave it to God. 

Are you implying that LSAC is God?

What is the B-school programme? Bachelor of Commerce?

queenslifesci

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:59:43 PM »
Ya I think he means Bachelour of Commerce. Maybe you should write an addendum explaining that high 60's are common for your program.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:14 AM »
Also, Queen's' avg GPA was 3.25 and avg LSAT was 157. I don't know how this makes the school look but I think it's somewhat respectable.

McGill's average LSAT = 157    average GPA= 3.29
UBC      average LSAT = 155    average GPA = 2.99
UVic     average LSAT = 154    average GPA = ??
UoT      Average LSAT = ~155   average gpa = 2.98
UoWestern Average LSAT = 152   average gpa = 2.88

Queen's average LSAT is on the upper end for Canadian schools. While the average GPA does look a bit high, it's still lower than McGill. One thing you may want to keep in mind when looking at these statistics is that McGill and Queen's have some of the highest entering averages in Canada, which will likely be reflected in the average GPA. On the other hand, UoT has a significantly lower entering average for UG, which may be one reason their average GPA is lower.

HTH, good luck in your cycle queenslifesci.

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 10:58:06 AM »
Hey Qimbz.

I was wondering where you got the average LSAT info for the different schools?  If possible, could you point me to the source or tell me U of Winnipeg's if you know it.  I don't need to know at all, but I'm definitely curious.  Thanks, if you can; and thanks anyways, if you can't.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 12:46:07 PM »
Hey Qimbz.

I was wondering where you got the average LSAT info for the different schools?  If possible, could you point me to the source or tell me U of Winnipeg's if you know it.  I don't need to know at all, but I'm definitely curious.  Thanks, if you can; and thanks anyways, if you can't.

Wish I could be of more assistance Farouk, but this is just information I've picked up from my time on the forums. I haven't found any listing of all of the averages from year to year, but the people at lawstudents.ca may be able to help you out.

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
Thanks.  That's a good idea; I wish I had thought of it.  I'll give that a shot.

queenslifesci

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:28:29 PM »
Great info, thanks Qimbz! It's a shame that US schools seem to only be aware or UofT, McGill and York since Queen's is quite clearly as competitive if not more.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 02:31:26 AM »
Great info, thanks Qimbz! It's a shame that US schools seem to only be aware or UofT, McGill and York since Queen's is quite clearly as competitive if not more.

I don't think you have much to worry about tbh. Queen's is one of the hardest universities to gain admission to in Canada. Furthermore, their average LSAT is tied for the highest across Canada. Clearly their student body is both intelligent and motivated. There's another post on the forums somewhere with the average LSAT/GPA for a bunch of American schools. There is one consistent trend through that data, the more prestigious the school the higher their average LSAT. Queen's average LSAT is tied for first with McGill which shows they have an intelligent student body, and their average GPA is lower than McGill's. I can't be certain, but I would imagine that adcomms rely on that sort of objective data rather than subjective opinions on a school's quality, and academic rigor.

A lot of people attribute the superiority of other schools to their acceptances to prestigious schools, but they fail to acknowledge vastly different student body sizes. Queen's has 15,000 students whereas McGill has 30k+ and UoT/York have 50k+.

It looks like you will have a great cycle based on your numbers. Best of luck to you!

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »
hey guys I just want to know how things worked out for your LSAC conversions. Thanks

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 04:02:22 PM »
Woah that's huge.  So someone with all 80s will have a perfect 4.0 (85 at most other Canadian schools, no?) while someone with all 79s will have a 3.0!  I think this might explain why Queen's average LSDAS GPA is a bit higher than most other Canadian schools: the average applicant to American law schools probably has a lot of grades in the 80-84 range, and at schools like Toronto or UBC that would land them 3.67s, while at Queen's that's 4.0.