Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Queen's University applicants to the US out there?  (Read 4541 times)

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Queen's University applicants to the US out there?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
Either way, there's a tremendous difference between a '79' and an '80'...this isn't really fair either.

Agreed.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:55 PM »
One rationale for this is that, over 3--4 years of studies, when a student is borderline A, he should get lucky half of the time with 80's and unlucky the other half of the time with 79's so it's fair on a global scale.

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 04:03:50 AM »
yeah i agree with the last statement. growing up in the US, you know to go the extra mile for that one percent. So an 80 is a 4.0? I thought it was a 3.67? I guess its because an 80 is not an A- at queens because we dont do +/-.

One more question: Have u guys had a mark between 65-60 converted? I have 1 mark of 65 (B) and im wondering how that works out.

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 06:53:05 AM »
yeah the thing is that an 80, whether its an A- or an A is still the same letter grade. A 65 is often a C or C+ at other schools while its a B at Queen's. Honestly, itd be great to recieve a 3.0 for that B but I think its a bit ridiculous for people between 65-79 to all get the same gpa point. Anyone who goes to Queens knows the huge difference between those two marks, especially in subjective arts courses.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:08:29 PM »
Also, Queen's' avg GPA was 3.25 and avg LSAT was 157. I don't know how this makes the school look but I think it's somewhat respectable.

McGill's average LSAT = 157    average GPA= 3.29
UBC      average LSAT = 155    average GPA = 2.99
UVic     average LSAT = 154    average GPA = ??
UoT      Average LSAT = ~155   average gpa = 2.98
UoWestern Average LSAT = 152   average gpa = 2.88

Queen's average LSAT is on the upper end for Canadian schools. While the average GPA does look a bit high, it's still lower than McGill. One thing you may want to keep in mind when looking at these statistics is that McGill and Queen's have some of the highest entering averages in Canada, which will likely be reflected in the average GPA. On the other hand, UoT has a significantly lower entering average for UG, which may be one reason their average GPA is lower.

HTH, good luck in your cycle queenslifesci.

McGill 158/3.38. You're stats are outofdate
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.