Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advice  (Read 506 times)

meghan11222

advice
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »
hey everyone,

so just looking for some direction here. lsat score just in, here are my stats, suggestions for top schools that are within my reach:

Lsat: 166
GPA: 3.84
Major: Philosophy
Distinction on my thesis, phi beta kappa, year abroad at oxford university
will have 2 years work experience when done as legal assitant in asset management firm in nyc

i would love to be in either new england or cali

are these clinched: bu bc fordham gw?

any hope for: upenn, mich, boalt, ucla, georgetown, duke, cornell?

lope

• View Profile
Re: advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
you're definitely in at bu, bc, fordham and gw.  a word of caution on bc though - i know a few people this cycle who were rejected at bc with very similar #s to yours (one had almost exactly the same stats).  bc seems to yield protect quite a bit so if you really want them to accept you i'd be certain to make sure they know that you're actually interested and not just trying to use them as a safety.  you know, just be sure to call them and express interest or send them an additional letter after you send in your app or something like that. 

duke and cornell are questionable.  it's possible for each one, but not really probable.  i think they both have taken people this year with lsat/gpa stats like yours, but i think they've probably rejected several people with these numbers for every one that they've accepted.

upenn, mich, and georgetown seem quite unlikely, but definitely apply to them all just to see.

boalt places a higher premium on gpa than most schools so you could have a chance there.  definitely apply. 

you didn't mention that you're a urm, so i'm assuming that you're not.  if you are though, that changes everything and you'll probably get into most, if not all, of these schools.

also, my lsat is also 166 and my gpa is very close to yours.  i applied to most of these schools so i'm familiar with what happened with their admissions this cycle.  if you have any more specific questions about any of these let me know.

Rainwater

• AOL Instant Messenger - theblueraja21
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:41:22 AM »
Cornell is definately worth applying to with those numbers. I had a 3.6 and 167, and applied to Cornell on a whim.  Got it regular acceptance (no money though). I'm white, male, straight from undergrad, nothing special.
Cornell Class of 2009!

talula8828

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »
I got into Cornell, BU (w/$$) and GW with a 166/3.71 so you have a great shot!  However, like another poster said, I was rejected at BC!  I should have gotten in without a problem so was very surprised but you should definitely apply anyways.  (I'm loyal to BU anyways and wouldn't have gone there over BC ever so it's possible they gathered that.)  Good luck!