Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Some Help, Folks  (Read 1083 times)

M_L_04

• View Profile
Need Some Help, Folks
« on: February 05, 2004, 09:00:43 PM »
Ok, here's the deal. Started out college, got priorities mixed up, then left in the middle of a semester (took F's). Went back to a community college for a couple semesters, worked, then transferred to George Mason. So, my UGPA for the three schools are 1.8, 3.5, and (currently) a 3.7 at Mason.

Here are my questions. How does the LSDAS calculate those figures? And, two, would I have a shot at getting into any tier one schools given this GPA info (e.g. Miami) assuming I get a decent score on the LSAT. I still have 2 semesters left so I could bring the GPA up a bit more. Thanks for any help you can offer. 

barry_schmotz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Some Help, Folks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 09:07:36 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, LSDAS will average your GPAs (based on # credits earned for each of those GPAs of course).  As for Tier 1...I honestly don't think anyone (including the schools) could tell you.  The only way to find out is to apply.  You could possibly play the "What are my statistical chances" game based on those graphs of previously accepted students (available on http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp).

And I don't mean to mince words...but isn't U. of Miami tier 2?  Again, not that it really makes a difference in the end.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »
Admission Index numbers are more accurate than those graphs because you don't know what percentage of those people let in were URM's, or other exceptions to the rule. They also don't distinguish  between in and out of state residents, which is often times a factor for state schools.If your admission index is higher than the average and everything else is at least decent you are likely to get in (excluding the very best schools which could fill a whole classroom with 4.0/180 students).

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:43:16 AM »
Regarding those index numbers, how are they to be interpreted?  When I multiply my GPA by 9.847209483, my LSAT by .4829204759302, and add 2.492, and end up with some number like 45.294850, what exactly does that mean?  Is there another chart where I can see how that number ranks with previous classes?  Anyone know how to interpret these numbers?

wolfman1977

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 03:03:20 AM »
I've heard that, as a general rule of thumb (there are plenty of exceptions), you are a presumptive admit at a school if your index # is higher than the index # generated by using the 75% GPA and LSAT scores of the school.  Since the competition is fiercer than ever this year, you have to keep in mind that the 75% figures are from 2003 and may not be an accurate reflection of the strength of this year's applicant group.
Hope this helps.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 12:03:22 PM »
I don't know if this will apply in your case but it may help someone.  One of my room mates in undergrad had a bad semester with lots of personal issues.  He was able to lobby to erase a semester from his record under a process called "Academic Bankruptcy".  Different schools may call it different things. Think of it like a Mulligan in golf.

The way the process worked in his case was like this, He had to file a request with the administration to get his case reviewed.  They looked at his case to determine if he had a good reason for a bad semester.  Not just a love for Harry's Bar. Illness, death in the family, divorce, etc. Once it was determined that he had a good case he was allowed to remove the semester from his record as if it had never happened.  He had to retake the whole semester including the classes passed.  The down side is repeating that difficult math class you made a B in.  The upside is those three F's vaporize. Most request are denied but in truly hard-luck cases it will get granted.

If you have not graduated and you are still enrolled at the school with the bad marks it may be worth looking into. I am sure this thing exist at most campuses.